need help with integrating a steering wheel

Started by
12 comments, last by gtdelarosa2 14 years, 4 months ago
Hi I am bulding a game where i want to control a ship . since there is no "ship wheels" i want to buy a regular pc steering wheel. I have a few questions : 1. How do I get the input from the wheel into my program ? 2. I realy need to disable the auto centering from the wheel, think it's possible to do from code ? please i really need your help thanks ron
Advertisement
what language and API?
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
lang = c#. platform- windows
What do you mean what api, each wheel has it's own api ,no ?
lol i dont think driving a ship is going to feel right with a car steering wheel nice idea tho
:)
I don't know which api ,cause i don't know which wheel i should buy. I mean every wheel has api ? Do you know any wheel which has an api , and it's possible to disable the auto centering ?
It doesn't really matter for me now how exactly to work with a wheel and what exactly to write. I need to know in general
if you do not know what api is you are pretty far off from integrating a steering wheel.

but what are you using to collect your input data?
direct input... ect?
driving wheel will be fine as long as it's not turning back to the center after each turn. Unfortunatly there are no ship wheels yet out in the market. something might be at the beginning of 2010 but i can't count on this. (www.shipdriver.com)
i don't know how i get the input, this is the question. I want a wheel which will connect to my pc with usb or any other way . the main issues are :
1. how will i collect the data from i.
2. and is it possible at all to cancel the auto centering.

I don't care in which language or whatever i can always make a dll from it or something and use it in c# ... but it need to work in windows.

btw, thanks for the replies so far.

1. Gaming wheels show up as joysticks. Learn how to read from a joystick and you'll be good to go.

2. The only way you'll be able to disable auto-centering is with a force-feedback wheel, and even then you might not be able to disable it 100%.
Come on guys, that's what hes asking!

Try DirectInput.
I haven't used it, so you have to search it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement