Game Design Basic Help

Started by
0 comments, last by Icefox 14 years, 4 months ago
Hi All I have couple of question wrt Game Designing... to be more specific Business Simulation Game Designing Background - We worked on a business simulation game for a client which was done in 'Excel' - simple UI which took user input and we had a large VB excel which used to run those inputs and give the reports wrt the performance as per those inputs Now we want to improve upon it and include some or all of these functionalities - multiplayer - online - on the fly - decent graphics (make it look like real simulator) I would like to know the best possible way out (we probably can also invest in some game engines etc. to speed up the process.. but still I am more interested in knowing how should I start in deciding upon the technology to use (Java, Delphi, C++, flash et al) and methodology to follow (books, starting point et al)). One more thing I am confused about is our backend in original design had lot of calculation so how to do that in online mode Typically speaking I think in the end we wish to achieve something of this sort industryplayer.com but to be true have no idea on how to begin. Any advice from the gurus out there is appreciated Thanks
Advertisement
Well, I dunno much about the genre I fear, but I've played Stars! and EVE which are pretty much spreadsheets in disguise anyway...

By "Online" do you mean "Web based"? Because if so, you're probably best off using &#106avascript and some back-end CGI (which can be anything).

"On the fly" is also pretty vague; could you clarify?

Note that multiplayer games are an order of magnitude more difficult than single-player games, almost by definition... Just something you should know.

I think that the first place you need to begin is with a design document. Write up a detailed spec of what you want the game to do, how it works, and the math behind it. Once you have that, at least some firmer requirements should present themselves.
-----http://alopex.liLet's Program: http://youtube.com/user/icefox192

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement