Direct 3D

Started by
5 comments, last by helpo 22 years, 8 months ago
I wanted to port my game to direct 3d 8, but i do not have a 3D accelerator. is there a way that i can use sofrware resterizer? and my processor is a AMD AMD-K6 2 3D processor, what does the 3D processor mean, can i use that to speed up my code?
Advertisement
You can use the reference rasteriser, but it''s hella slow, so I wouldn''t bother really...

The "3D" is probably reffering to the 3DNow! extensions that AMD has, similar to Intel''s MMX or SSE.

War Worlds - A 3D Real-Time Strategy game in development.
Well, i guess i will use the reference rasteriser, although it is slow. how do i use it? And can i use the 3DNow! at all?
It tells you in the SDK how to create a device to use the reference rasterizer, but I think you''ll find it way too slow to use. It''s really for testing only, it''s not up to the same level of performance as the software rasterizer in previous versions of DirectX. Basically, DX8 doesn''t have a useable software rasterizer.

You should be able to pick up a second hand Voodoo 3 or TNT 2 for next to nothing.
G''day!

As Simon said (oooh, I bet you''re tired of all the jokes that come out of that...sorry) the reference rasterizer is not really an option.

It''s best thought of as the implementation of the full D3D8 spec in software. If you''re having strange behaviours in your app (graphical artifacts, etc) you can try doing the same thing under the ref rast, and it all is good on ref rast, then you''ve likely found a bug.

It can also be used to test out ideas since the ref rast supports ALL the D3D8 goodies where very few (if any) support all fo the features.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Well thanks all. i guess i will stick to DX7 for now.
Well thanks all. i guess i will stick to DX7 for now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement