Looking for a commercial or freeware 2D game engine

Started by
4 comments, last by thePyro_13 14 years, 4 months ago
Greetings Gamedev community, I am a designer by profession and will not pretend to know alot (or almost anything) about programming. I do know some HTML but I assume that it wont be useful for creating games. For the past few years I've thought about creating a simple 2D point and click adventure game. By simple I mean: there is a character, I click on the screen, he goes to where I click, he interacts with a object, has to pick another object up, take it to point X etc (like good old Monkey Island, Sam and Max etc). Are there any easy to use freeware or commercial gaming engines out there that would allow me to create such a game without prior programming knowledge? Suggestions for which software to use are highly welcome. If possible please mention what are the pros and cons of the software you are suggesting. I am quite confident that there is such a software out there. Seeing that the past 10 years have made software/graphics development easier in many ways. Thank you to all of you and enjoy the holidays :)
Advertisement
I've heard that MMF2 is good if you want to make a game without programming.
There's also Game Maker, but that puts up annoying ads when you start the game.
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.
www.3drad.com
Freeware (used to be commercial). Can do 3D and 2D. Updated regularly. No ads, no logo.
I will check both of them out for sure.

As said the engine can also be commercial, I dont mind supporting the software developers if its good.
Check out Construct. I haven't yet tried it myself, but I bookmarked it as something that looks quite good for a beginner/non-programmer.
If you don't want to learn programming then you should look up Adventure Game Studio. It doesn't require much more than script editing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement