🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ever been arrested?

Started by
54 comments, last by Gaiiden 14 years, 4 months ago
Quote: Original post by Hodgman
However, there's been other "US style" cases, like when the police were trying to question someone and their (leashed) dog wouldn't stop barking, so the cop pull out his Glock and killed the dog on the spot... Nothing happened to the officer in that case, but perhaps that's because people in that suburb can't exactly afford legal help (or even know it's an option). They just had a little riot instead.

Are you sure? I can’t find any information at all about this using a Google search, except for a similar case in the United States. It seems like the kind of thing that would be picked up by the media.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by jack_1313
Are you sure? I can’t find any information at all about this using a Google search, except for a similar case in the United States. It seems like the kind of thing that would be picked up by the media.
Both those cases I mentioned were just examples of abuses of power that happened in my little country town, so yes I'm sure it happened. Like I said, the people in that particular suburb are generally too poor, uneducated, out of their mind on drugs or otherwise completely disconnected from society to be able look for legal help, let alone be able to ring up Seven news. You might find it in the physical archives of the local newspaper, but their online archiving isn't up to scratch. Google can't search the physical archives (yet). This kind of thing happens in those kind of suburbs all the time - it's not really a scandal as far as the media is concerned, which means it's not news.

The other case about the crooked cop was scandalous enough to be reported in the Sydney papers though.
youre being funny. you talk like if being able to do nasty shit was inversely proportional to the level of education and or money.

the only reason why an educated or rich person refrains from performing nasty shit is because they may lose something.

humans are nasty sonovabitches.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote: Original post by Gaiiden
Quote: Original post by tool_2046
I'm not relaying this information in an effort to gain street cred with the gamedev crew, rather to offer you some advice when dealing with police: be as friendly as possible while saying as little as possible. If you are talking to a law enforcement officer, it is because he suspects you of committing a crime. Its very easy to have your words twisted into an admission of guilt and it is very hard to convince a judge that an officer is incorrect in his recollection. There is no deal a police officer will make with you, that is done later in court. Attempting to degrade an officer may feel satisfying, but I assure you these people deal the most hostile individuals society has to offer—you aren't going to say something that makes them reconsider their ways. Swallow your emotion, don't rise to the bait and you'll likely experience a minor inconvenience. Mouth off or verbally/physically resist and you could face life destroying consequences.

Great advice. Never talk to cops, only answer questions honestly and wait for your lawyer.

On that note here is a long but very well worth it discussion of why you should never talk to the police.

"> LINK

It's not really in the spirit of this thread but it's not an uncommon practice for police to flat out murder citizens and never be prosecuted. There are several sites devoted to the practice so a quick google search will bear that out.

God forbid if you're black or in a bad neighborhood.
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Quote: Original post by owl
youre being funny. you talk like if being able to do nasty shit was inversely proportional to the level of education and or money.
What? In my anecdote, the poor, uneducated person was the victim of the crime (not the perpetrator), and they were unable to find justice because of their circumstances.
If anything, I'm implying that the ability to find justice is proportional to the amount of money you have :P

In my other anecdote, the bad guy had so much money/power, that he was literally able to get away with murder.
Quote: Original post by Yann L
Quote: Original post by Binomine
Heck, I wouldn't even inform them they are on shaky ground. When you are suspected by the police, it's not time to play amateur lawyer.

It's probably a country difference. From what I seem to gather, US police is almost Gestapo-like. Over here, arguing with the police over whatever they want from you is common practice. Often people get upset and loud at the officer, usually over minor things like traffic violations. In this case, police is normally required to do their best to calm the situation, instead of getting "brutal", as it seems to be the case in the US. So YMMV.
The police are not exactly "Gestapo-like". The role of a police officer in the US is to keep the peace.
A police officer is going to talk to you for two reasons:
1. Because you are a danger to the community
2. To make a profit for the city.(unofficially, but it happens)

If a police officer catches you doing something illegal, as long a it is not "breaking the peace", they usually let you go. It's not their job to enforce the letter of the law, just to keep the peace(and their speeding ticket quota up).

It is not the officer's job to interpret the law. It's his job to best enforce them and allow the judicial system to interpret the law. This is partly why we get abortions like this one. The system overall works o.k., but it means the time to argue is in court, not in the presence of the police officer.

While not all police officers are particularly good at their jobs, the majority of them do follow correct and legal procedures, while the majority of Americans fail to educate themselves on what those are. Likewise, since a police officer's job is to keep the peace, if you can convince the officer that a warning is sufficient, then no ticket will be issued.

It is in the best interest for a USian to comply, shut up and argue the case in court.
Quote: Isn't a sexual harassment lawsuit the usual way to deal with these situations ?
Actually, if she would have complied and just done it and waited, she would have found out that a pat down search is completely legal. I mean, it is possible to file a sexual harassment lawsuit, but a police officer following legal procedures is not grounds for a successful one.

A male is a allowed to do a pat down search to look for weapons only on a female for their safety if there is no female officer present or close to the area. They aren't allowed to do more than that. Some cities have procedures that only allow female to female or male to male, but that is just a procedure, it isn't law.

However, my friend being totally obvious and already in police custody decided to physically fight, which is probably a bad idea overall. It's the biggest irony of living in the US, we're so big on Our Rights, but the majority of us fail to educate ourselves on what those are.
Quote: an officer is automatically suspended and investigated if he simply draws his weapon without a valid reason
In the US, it depends on the city and state, but if an officer draws his gun for any reason, it results in the police officer being pulled off the street for one to eight weeks for an investigation. (Larger cities are usually around two while richer suburbs are closer to eight.)
Quote: Original post by Hodgman
Quote: Original post by owl
What? In my anecdote, the poor, uneducated person was the victim of the crime (not the perpetrator), and they were unable to find justice because of their circumstances.
If anything, I'm implying that the ability to find justice is proportional to the amount of money you have :P

In my other anecdote, the bad guy had so much money/power, that he was literally able to get away with murder.

lol, when I said nasty sobs I was reffering to the police! It doesn't matter what kind of country you are you will always find nasty people doing really fucked up things.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote: Original post by Dreddnafious Maelstrom
Quote: Original post by Gaiiden
Quote: Original post by tool_2046
I'm not relaying this information in an effort to gain street cred with the gamedev crew, rather to offer you some advice when dealing with police: be as friendly as possible while saying as little as possible. If you are talking to a law enforcement officer, it is because he suspects you of committing a crime. Its very easy to have your words twisted into an admission of guilt and it is very hard to convince a judge that an officer is incorrect in his recollection. There is no deal a police officer will make with you, that is done later in court. Attempting to degrade an officer may feel satisfying, but I assure you these people deal the most hostile individuals society has to offer—you aren't going to say something that makes them reconsider their ways. Swallow your emotion, don't rise to the bait and you'll likely experience a minor inconvenience. Mouth off or verbally/physically resist and you could face life destroying consequences.

Great advice. Never talk to cops, only answer questions honestly and wait for your lawyer.

On that note here is a long but very well worth it discussion of why you should never talk to the police.

"> LINK

AWESOME - that's exactly what I was thinking about when I posted my support of the quoted advice, but I thought I read an article on it - now I remember it was an article linking to the video

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement