Which is better style?

Started by
16 comments, last by BattleMetalChris 14 years, 2 months ago
In the given example, I don't really like either very much. What do you gain from using generic semantics in this operation? Seems pointless to me.

Definitely #1, though.
Advertisement
If function can fail without throwing exception, I'd prefer to describe it in function name like:
bool try_convert_in_place(...)
I usually go what Zahlman suggested. If performance is issue at given point, call the faster one.
Quote:Original post by Antheus
Quote:Original post by theOcelot
What on earth do you prefer #2 for? The only time I consider anything like that is when I don't want to copy some big object for a return value, and even then creating and initializing the variable on two lines is annoying.

One would use #2 when trying to avoid redundant heap allocations when parsing a lot of text, perhaps hundreds of thousands of lines, thereby reducing running time by a factor of 10.

YMMV, depends on implementation of std::string and whether RVO/NRVO can handle objects which invoke new in constructor.
I would have thought it made little difference. Doesn't RVO just work out if it's possible to construct the result directly in-place, bypassing the need for a copy-constructor call, for where the function is called/inlined? Oh I see, perhaps it has to consider the possible side-effects of the 'new' call.

With RVO, number 1 can in theory be marginally faster than number 2, assuming that a constructor other than the default one happens to be what is used inside 'convert'. That of course isn't possible in number 2 since the string variable has already been default constructed prior to the call.

In other words, number 1 wins for aesthetic reasons and also don't think that all optimisation reasons are in favour of number 2. One would hope that compilers will get even better over time, not worse! So, overall number 1 certainly wins in my books.
I'd only change it if and when I see it being a performance hot-spot during later optimisation, and even then, the actual change might not be to anything like number 2.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
These days I am absolutely used to have all my functions in the form "fun(input) -> output", i.e. usually no parameter gets mutated, and output really is output. That way, you no longer struggle with thinking about which parameters are [in], and which are [out]. When I need to return multiple values, I do either by returning a class- or aggregrate-type, or in trivial cases by using boost::tuple<>.

Note that thanks to RVO, you usually have no performance bottleneck, and even if, C++0x will mostly fix this by move-semantics.

Finally, one of the reasons to use that style was const-correctness, i.e. in your #2, you can't say const string str; convert(123,str,BASE_16);, so you force clients of convert to introduce mutable state (a.k.a. "hm, will that value be changed in this function *skim...waste time...*") where absolutely not necessary.
Wouldn't it be better to use a third option?

string str(convert<string>(123,BASE_16));

I'm fairly new to C++ Programming (<2 years), but all the books I've been reading say it's best to initialise something using the constructor if you can, rather than declaring it and using the copy constructor.

If what I've just written is garbage, then someone please tell me why.. :o)
Quote:Original post by BattleMetalChris
I'm fairly new to C++ Programming (<2 years), but all the books I've been reading say it's best to initialise something using the constructor if you can, rather than declaring it and using the copy constructor.
I'm pretty sure both ways use the copy constructor (string a = another_string; and string a(another_string); both use the copy constructor) so I'm not sure what you or your book(s) meant.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Quote:Original post by BattleMetalChris
Wouldn't it be better to use a third option?

string str(convert<string>(123,BASE_16));

If what I've just written is garbage, then someone please tell me why.. :o)

It is the same. When you "assign" to a variable X in the declaration of variable X, then it is just syntactic sugar for using the "()" syntax. Note though that there is a subtlety when there are no parameters to the constructors: The compiler will than assume it is a function declaration (google "c++ most vexing parse").
Ah right, fair enough.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement