dont understand how to test 2d collision in java

Started by
4 comments, last by Firetag 14 years, 2 months ago
I have been working on this simple pong game for a few days and I still cant seem to be able too test for collision acurately or to even get it to work ... heres what I have so far...(note that this is only for the right side of the player)

private void doCollisionTest(ComPaddle com, Player player){
		int playerleft = player.getSide();
		int playerwidth = player.getWidth();
		if (playerleft>250){playerwidth=-playerwidth;}
		int playerright = playerleft+playerwidth; 
		int playertop = player.getYPos();
		int playerbottom = playertop + player.getheight();
		if(ballx_speed<0){//check if ball is traveling to left if it is
		if(ballleft<=playerright){//check if player and ball are on same y axis
			for(int playerheightseed=0; playerheightseed<player.getheight();playerheightseed++){//start seed to get all of player height on x axis
				for(int ballheightseed=0;ballheightseed<ball_radius*2;ballheightseed++){//start seed to get all of ball height on x axis
					if(balltop-ballheightseed==playertop-playerheightseed){//check to see of ball and player are overlapping at x axis
						this.ballx_speed = -ballx_speed;
					}
				}
			}
		}
		}

}

[Edited by - jpetrie on February 11, 2010 5:33:05 PM]
Advertisement
it seems to never check collision on the y axis only on the x
I think you might be over complicating things.

private final int leftCollision = 0, rightCollision = 640;//returns true if a collision is detectedpublic boolean checkCollision() {    if ((ballX - ballRadius) <= leftCollision) { //check for collision on left        if ( ((ballY - ballRadius) <= (paddleY + paddleHeight)) && ((ballY + ballRadius) >= (paddleY - paddleHeight)) ) {	    return(true);	}    } else if ((ballX + ballRadius) >= rightCollision) { //check for collision on right	//same thing as above but for the other paddle    }    return(false);}
yeah but when i do it like that doesnt it only check it for 2 points on the object...with the loop it checks each pixel or am i wrong..it seems that if a loop isnt used and the ball has a slop of 0 it is very unlikely a collision will be detected...
The method I posted is 100% accurate when your working with a rectangle and a circle. Draw a rectangle in Paint and then draw a circle and move it around to visualize and confirm for yourself.
ok great thanks i found some time to test it and it works thank-you

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement