Business Cards - Informal/Formal Fonts and Designs?

Started by
13 comments, last by way2lazy2care 14 years, 2 months ago
Do you guys think it's ok to have an informal font on a Business Card? I am really debating with myself on whether I should use more designer fonts or standard ones. While I'm at it, what is a good number of cards to get for GDC? I don't want to over order, but I don't want hundreds of surplus cards sitting around.
Advertisement
What do you mean "informal"? I hope you don't mean Comic Sans MS!

I think the point of business cards is to stand out, so I see no reason why not. As long they're still legible, of course, and provide the nessecary information.
I use Comic Sans MS on my card.
In other words, that idea's already taken.

Just make your card memorable and creative, but easy to read.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by way2lazy2care
Do you guys think it's ok to have an informal font on a Business Card?
Yes, assuming that fits your business.

Quote:While I'm at it, what is a good number of cards to get for GDC? I don't want to over order, but I don't want hundreds of surplus cards sitting around.
What are you using the cards for?

The big reason to get them is to give them away at social events. If you don't go to social events, which include conferences, workshops, BBB events, sales and marketing events, and so on, then you probably don't have a strong need for business cards.

A box of business cards is cheap. You can even get boxes of fancy full-color raised-print double-sided cards online for less than the cost of a night at the movies. I can't imagine giving out a full box of 250 cards at GDC unless you are stuffing them inside packets of free goodies on the expo floor.
I just read this blog post yesterday. The author suggests 250 - 500. I guess it really depends on how outgoing you are.

http://bbrathwaite.wordpress.com/2010/02/15/where-are-all-the-good-parties-at-gdc/
-)------ Ed
Quote:Original post by Codeka]/i]What do you mean "informal"? I hope you don't mean Comic Sans MS!

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
I use Comic Sans MS on my card.

lol...

I was thinking more like designer-ish versions of helvetica. I just wanted something with a little more eye appeal than flat text for the headings and larger text, but didn't know if I would be breaking some unknown taboo.
Quote:Original post by SigmaX
I just read this blog post yesterday. The author suggests 250 - 500. I guess it really depends on how outgoing you are.
Yes, but that's Brenda Brathwaite.

She of the post is on the IGDA board of directors. She has game credits going back to 1984. She's chaired several major design groups. She has been a chair at a college, in a game design program she helped develop. She is one of the best known women in game development.

So of course she's going to give out a bunch of cards at GDC.

If you search her blog, she says that she gives away a box of 250 cards at GDC but likes to have the extra on hand, just in case.

For most people a box of 250 is more than enough.
Is there a reason why business cards are 1 mm wider than they could fit into my wallet?
Is there a standard for the sizes of them?
Way2la wrote:
1. what is a good number of cards to get for GDC?

Szec wrote:
2. Is there a reason why business cards are 1 mm wider than they could fit into my wallet?
3. Is there a standard for the sizes of them?

1. The printer has a minimum print run. If you want fewer cards, it'll cost you more.

2. The print industry does not have any interest in what the size of your wallet is, as long as you have enough money in it to pay them to print cards for you.

3. The European standard size is considerably larger than the American standard size, but yes, there are two standard sizes. Just as there are two standard sizes for sheet paper (A4 in most of the world, 8.5 x 11 "inches" in America).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I was looking around on some sites and stumbled on mini-business cards. What do you guys think of those?

http://green.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/01/eco_friendly_mini_business_cards.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement