Business Cards - Informal/Formal Fonts and Designs?

Started by
13 comments, last by way2lazy2care 14 years, 2 months ago
If your business card would fit in a wallet, it would remain in a person's wallet. Then, if it DROPS OFF, then the person might recall a conversation with you and for some reason, feel compelled to call you...

If your card is too small though, it is easy to lose.
I think business cards are this size mainly to annoy a bit. Not too much, just a bit. Reminds people you exist.

What about a bigger card then? No idea. I'd think it would be too annoying, or be interpreted like "just trying too damn hard", feeling like you're better than anyone else, but who knows, maybe im wrong, and the annoyance factor really plays out.
Maybe we should have all business cards the size of letters who knows :P
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Orymus
If your business card would fit in a wallet, it would remain in a person's wallet. Then, if it DROPS OFF, then the person might recall a conversation with you and for some reason, feel compelled to call you...

I think business cards are this size mainly to annoy a bit. Not too much, just a bit. Reminds people you exist.

What about a bigger card then? No idea. I'd think it would be too annoying, or be interpreted like "just trying too damn hard", feeling like you're better than anyone else, but who knows, maybe im wrong, and the annoyance factor really plays out.

In a similar vane, smaller cards kind of set you apart. It's something different from what everyone usually sees.

There's also a reasonable environmental impact. Consider how many business cards are thrown away anyway at conferences like GDC in any industry. The cards themselves are 2.5* thinner and the same width, so they still fit in a wallet, but use almost a third of the paper.

I think they're a little better for advertising a product or website, but they're still a bit stylish if someone uses them for personal reasons.
I don't know how valuable this is, but I was told to have business cards that match your portfolio's style. My career planning office told me to plan on the portfolio first, then make a card around it.

I don't think it matters much, however. Every business card is unique and creative. Yours will be different, just like everyone else. Don't stress over it.

Cards that are too small are annoying. Cards that are just slightly smaller than normal are less annoying.
Cards that are bigger than European-standard size are definitely annoying.

But that's me. There are people who couldn't care less about your business card (probably because they just ignore them entirely).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper

Cards that are too small are annoying. Cards that are just slightly smaller than normal are less annoying.
Cards that are bigger than European-standard size are definitely annoying.

But that's me. There are people who couldn't care less about your business card (probably because they just ignore them entirely).

The mini-cards were kind of an off-shoot. I made a full size one.

Odd factoid. The mini-cards are more expensive than the full size ones.

Thanks All

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement