Crysis Lighting

Started by
4 comments, last by jcabeleira 14 years, 2 months ago
Does anyone know much about the lighting used in Crysis? Ive been looking through their shaders in the ( ShaderCache.pak & Shaders.pak ), and couldnt see anything refering to the main 3 types of lights. Those being point, spot and directional lights. And even in sandbox they only refer to 2 different lights, Light and IndirectLight. The shader code looks like some sort of point light, but then in sandbox you also have the option to project an image using the light, which kinda then makes it more like a spot light.
Advertisement
I could have sword I read somewhere that they are using a deferred lighting/rendering method...

*goes a-googlin'*
Douglas Eugene Reisinger II
Projects/Profile Site
They explain what they used in CryEngine 2 in a presentation about CryEngine 3 called: A_bit_more_deferred_-_CryEngine3.ppt. I don't remember where I got it. Not a lot of info, but it's deferred rendering.
http://www.crytek.com/fileadmin/user_upload/inside/presentations/2009/A_bit_more_deferred_-_CryEngine3.ppt
That presentation says that they are only using deferred lighting in CryEngine 3. From what I can gather, the only deferred rendering they did for CryEngine 2 was for shadow masks, and effects. They dont mention anything about lighting, other than the CryEngine 3 stuff. So I assume CryEngine 2 still uses forward rendering for the lighting.

So yeah, still unsure as to what light types are being used in CryEngine 2.
Yes, Crysis uses forward rendering for the lighting, and deferred rendering for shadows and atmospheric effects. Lighting with Deferred Rendering was added to the engine after Crysis.

About the light types, well... they don't use anything really fancy. They got a few neat tricks I supose, but mostly they just use a directional light for the sun, and point and projective lights for other stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement