Starting up.

Started by
10 comments, last by Somarl 14 years, 2 months ago
Quote:i do actually want to program it while learning what does what and why, i am not sure what this is called but i chose the word tutorial which i guess was wrong.
But, that's not programming. Programming, with all the tools and modern knowledge stripped away, is problem solving. Here's what problem solving roughly is:

1. Take a problem.
2a. If problem seems "trivial" to solve, attempt to solve.
2b. If problem was not trivial to solve, break it down into subproblems.
2b i. Repeat step 1 on each subproblem.
2b ii. Solve problem trivially given that subproblems are solved.

The real challenge falls into breaking down into subproblems. Can you do this in a useful manner (i.e. subproblems are ? Can you do it quickly? You can't learn to break down problems by reading solutions. There's countless people who tell you about how they can read code. But give them an exceedingly small problem to program from scratch, and they fail miserably.

You say you want to program. That means you need to engage in taking some problem and solving it. Not looking at a proprosed solution, and then understanding it. Being a good reader does not make you a good writer.

I am not proposing you start from absolute zero and make real applications from there. There are books and learning resources that will teach you the fundamentals of a language. In doing so, they will present you with simple programs and walk you through how it works.

However, these programs are incredibly trivial compared to Tetris clones. They are isolated examples intended to illustrate concepts. You need to engage in lengthy problem solving to take something as complicated as Tetris, and decompose it into subproblems that you can tackle with the concepts you know.

That's all I'm saying. Instead of looking for guides on Tetris, focus on first just acquiring fundamental knowledge. Then challenge yourself to solve increasingly complex programs. And it will be quite a while before you feel that you can comfortably tackle making a Tetris clone.

You do want to make something more complicated than Tetris in 10 years, right? You have 10 years to practice. If I want to be a good writer in 10 years, I start practicing writing from day 1. If I want to be a good artist in 10 years, I start practicing from day 1. Want to program complex games in 10 years? Start with simple stuff from day 1. Not reading code. Actually writing.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by oler1s

That's all I'm saying. Instead of looking for guides on Tetris, focus on first just acquiring fundamental knowledge. Then challenge yourself to solve increasingly complex programs. And it will be quite a while before you feel that you can comfortably tackle making a Tetris clone.

This is pretty much what i intend to do. As i feel i need fundementals first before i can move on to anything else. I was just sort of stuck between the transition of learning how "hello world" works to then moving on to whatever is inbetween that and the equivilant of tetris. If i wanted to learn how to write i would try to learn the alphabet first then see how a pen works (if i didnt even know what a pen or ink was or which way to hold it up to make the ink come out.) because i dont believe you can write straight away. As for programming it is solving problems your right but i feel i need to know some basics and have a good starting point so i can create something that has problems to solve in the first place. I think people took the words tutorial a bit too literally (i apologise im not sure what word i was looking for) but my best method of learning is actually being shown, if someone sits down with me and points out why each line of code does what and how it is applicable to any program or some programs etc, this isnt always possible as i have no-one like that who can help so i have to do the next best thing. Read and code and look at what each element brings to the table, that might be a good start.

I understand it will be a hard journey but im old and wise enough not to delude myself into thinking ill be able to break new technology boundaries in 20 minutes and make the next mordern warfare game on my own but ten times better than a full team of very highly paid developers. I wont and never will but thankfully this is not my goal. Im glad you folks arent pulling any punches when it comes to making me understand that this will be a tough journey. Id like to take the next 6 months to a year working like a MF and see where i am up to. If i feel i can learn more i may persist, if not ill leave all games to the very talented devs who handle them and never step foot into the world of coding again :) If it was so complicated to the depths of hell (and im sure its difficult for a beginner but not almost impossible) to program tetris im sure there wouldnt be a games market as i truely think people couldnt be bothered spending 6-8 years just to be able to code tetris with no bugs, we'd never get anywhere. I wont be starting with this of course and im sure ill have plenty of problems when i eventually do.

From what some of the replies have said i am gathering a certain vibe for the direction of gaming, mostly due to the next generations lack of patience in wanting to instaplay a game, instaenjoy and instaquit. mainly web based games or stuff like farmville being the future. Im not really into this though i think it certainly is the future being that everyone is losing patience with everything but i will always prefer games with a little more depth and longevity. Do i detect even i hint of bitterness towards them from some folk (if so i really dont blame you at all) based on the fact that some people may have spent the last 8 years learning to code and spent 2 years making an rpg (or something) that people will be less interested in than something like a very simple farmville type game because it lacks that instant pick up and put down simplicity (sorry if that came across as arsey and sarcastic, i really dont mean is that way at all.) This i think drives me on even more to do my own thing as i believe there will always be (although ever shrinking) a small market for people who want to play a game with a little more depth and a learning curve, this wont make you the money like a farmville game could with its ad's and such plus it will more likely take 10 times longer to code but i believe in it and i guess thats all that matters.

Once again thanks for your time folks, im getting some great feedback here and trust me i am listening and taking it all in, even if it sounds like im rambling :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement