Magic system balance against melee combat in a SP RPG

Started by
11 comments, last by JasRonq 14 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by JasRonq
Now Konidias, what you said about your spells, you are decreasing consumption at the cost of time, but also increasing power. That seems to break your rule of 3. In any case, that is more a decision for play testing to determine how those three can be exchanged in the case of your game. I'll keep the basic idea in mind for my spells though.

Not sure how this breaks the rule. If you decrease consumption and increase power, you end up with an attack that is powerful and consumes little magic/energy/stamina but it takes more time.

Power = Strong
Consumption = Efficient
Speed = Slow

So you're getting 2 good things and one bad thing. So for example, if you had:

Fireball Spell - 5 damage - 5 magic consumed - .5 second cast

and you held down the spell key to build up power for a second then you would have:

Fireball Spell - 15 damage - 2 magic consumed - 1.5 second cast

So now you're doing 3 times the damage for under half the mana cost but it takes an extra second to cast.

Anyway, back to your post... You say you wanted to avoid armor reducing damage because it either "blocks a hit or it doesn't" but that's far from the case. Sure maybe with only sword attacks, but what about harder impacts? If you get hit in the chest with a sledgehammer while wearing armor, I'm sure you're going to take damage, but not nearly as much as if you weren't wearing armor. So armor can indeed reduce damage taken. Just look at the bruises people get when they are shot while wearing a bullet proof vest. =p

For the speed of combat you're wanting to achieve, I'm really not even sure how magic could be worked into the situation. Hand to hand combat can be furiously fast, and casting magic would have to be just as fast to be of any use.

It seems to me that you're trying to place down rules and some of these rules are causing you more trouble than good. For example, your problem with armor is that you don't want armor to always block. Well that's easily solved by having armor have durability. So many powerful attacks would easily break armor and leave someone vulnerable. Consider it your "health bar".

If you're using humans in your game... well, they are squishy bags of meat. One stab from a sword and it's usually game over. There's no reason why you couldn't have a fast paced combat system where you have to beat someone until their armor gives out and then deliver 1 or 2 blows to finish them off.

This avoids the problem of having a character taking ill effects from a few initial attacks, since the armor would be taking the majority of the damage.

Having to work around the armor seems a little tedious in my opinion, but maybe I'm just not envisioning your idea very well. I'd just much rather prefer to beat someone until their armor shatters and then a few sword swings to finish the job.

If you want to avoid bars, simply make the game more realistic. In real life, armor can protect you but it will eventually break. Durability of armor can be displayed simply by having your armor look more beat up and broken with the more hits it takes. Having the armor make different noise when hit, depending on the condition of the armor would be a nice audible indicator. Shiny new armor would make a nice "clang" noise when hit, while beaten up armor would make more of a "clunk", as if it's about to give way.

This could build up tension because the player would know they are about to be done for unless they make some last second desperation moves. All of this without having a single bar on the screen.

The whole "chipping away until the boring end" scenario really depends on how strong the armor is or how many hits a player can take. Armor could only take a couple of well placed hits to break it, so dodging would still be important and you wouldn't end up with two characters standing there whacking at eachother until the guy with the higher stats wins.

Your current system sounds like it makes armor pretty much indestructable.. which doesn't really work well if you ever plan to have armor with different levels of defense. Right now it seems like your armor either protects you or it doesn't.

In any regard... What you described sounds almost like a FPS but with melee instead of guns. The problem with that is your combat is going to last all of 2 seconds because one quick stab to an opening in the armor and the player is dead. (like a headshot in a FPS) Because in a FPS, you're either dodging the bullets, or you're hit and pretty much dead.
[size="3"]Thrones Online - Tactical Turnbased RPG
Visit my website to check out the latest updates on my online game
Advertisement
Quote:Having to work around the armor seems a little tedious in my opinion, but maybe I'm just not envisioning your idea very well.

That seems to very much be the case.
•Armour only comes in one level of protection and either protects or it doesn't.
•Armour has restrictions on movement such that the combination of weight and restricted range of motion slows you down enough to balance against the speed of not wearing armour. Therefore, not wearing armour leaves you to dodge quickly and wearing armour allows you to absorb blows. Both are balanced.

Quote:For example, your problem with armor is that you don't want armor to always block. Well that's easily solved by having armor have durability.

Actually, I want armour to always block, unless you have time to slip between the gaps. The more vulnerable you make the opponent the easier that is to do. If you knock him on the ground winded, sticking him under the breastplate is easy, not so easy when he is standing and moving. Armour that degrades is unrealistic, bothersome to repair, and bothersome to replace. I've yet to find a game that made me enjoy buying repair hammers to repair armour. Besides that, its ridiculous. So no degrading armour and no health bars. You block and dodge hits or you get knocked down, get knocked down and hit again and you are dead.

Quote:If you're using humans in your game... well, they are squishy bags of meat. One stab from a sword and it's usually game over. There's no reason why you couldn't have a fast paced combat system where you have to beat someone until their armor gives out and then deliver 1 or 2 blows to finish them off.

Exactly right except that instead of shattering the armour you are knocking him down. (Doesn't it seem a little silly for armour to fall apart in the course of a single fight? Or even many? Shouldn't it be better constructed than that?)

Quote:In any regard... What you described sounds almost like a FPS but with melee instead of guns. The problem with that is your combat is going to last all of 2 seconds because one quick stab to an opening in the armor and the player is dead.

From an iso view point, but yeah, pretty close. Thing is most modern RPGs play like FPS is you just take out the stats, its one of the failings of the genre. That's neither here nor there and I don't mind if you don't want to call it an RPG.

PS. Sledge hammers are not weapons of war and are far to slow to actually hit a person with, so while yes, you would take damage through a huge hammer, a more appropriate question would be about piercing through the armour with real medieval war hammers which more closely resembled spikes than hammer heads as they were intended to make holes in the armour. The answer to that is a fatal bleeding effect that kills the player if the wound isn't bandaged after the fight.
About the actual magic system though. One consideration is the mode of the spell. By that I mean, the same spell effect cast as melee or as a bolt flying at a target are not of the same level of power. The utility of the spell needs to be considered in that rule of three. For instance, is the power reduction of melee range enough to lower the cast time to near zero for a fire spell? Considering that the range of weapons will matter, maybe so as hand to hand range is significantly closer than even a short sword much less longer weapons. On the other hand, a long cast time but a duration off effect could be used. I could cast a long "fire hands" spell and then have fist of flaming fury for a specific duration. I can then use it during the fight without recasting it.

Another consideration is the speed at which a bolt type spell travels. If its slower than even an arrow then it is dodge-able, especially if the target has a haste spell cast on him. That means that slowing the travel speed of a bolt can be used to lower its power such that near zero casting time could be rational with a useful power level. This then means you can blast off spells rapidly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement