Skybox, texture resizing, it spoils the edges

Started by
4 comments, last by TomKQT 14 years, 1 month ago
hey there. While I was having fun with skyboxes, I run into a problem. If you dont use a filter (or point filter) this effect doesnt appear. But if you use something else, see what happens: http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/442/skybox.jpg isnt it called "match effect"? How to avoid this? If I use no filter, the sky seems flawless, but then the clouds arent "clear" enough
Advertisement
Oh that's really interesting, have you tried setting those textures to clamping mode?

I am guessing the any filtering is picking up white on the other end of the texture

[Edited by - MetaKnight on March 17, 2010 11:14:17 AM]
i would rather use a sky dome or sky plane they produce better results. also try and disable the device lighting before u render the sky. well i guess it depends on what effect u r trying to get.

try this sampling method:

device->SetSamplerState( 0, D3DSAMP_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR );
device->SetSamplerState( 0, D3DSAMP_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR );
device->SetSamplerState( 0, D3DSAMP_MIPFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR );

this smooths the texture.
Quote:Original post by MetaKnight
Oh that's really interesting, have you tried setting those textures to clamping mode?

I am guessing the any filtering is picking up white on the other end of the texture

this it solved. I can feel some irony =) still, I dont understand why, these D3DTSS_ADDRESSU settings should applied when an .U or .V are outside of 0..1 arent them...?
Quote:Original post by prux

this it solved. I can feel some irony =) still, I dont understand why, these D3DTSS_ADDRESSU settings should applied when an .U or .V are outside of 0..1 arent them...?

Yeah I am guessing since it's filtering, it needs data from around the pixel, and if you are at U=0, to one side is 0.1, but the other is 1.0(since it's wrapping). The video card doesn't know that the pixel is the edge of the polygon.

Quote:Original post by prux

The filters are sampling pixels around the actual one and thus can go outside the 0...1 range when working on the border pixels. I guess. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement