TitaniumGL, opengl multiwrapper for your game (opengl,d3d,multicore soft-render)

Started by
40 comments, last by Geri 10 years, 4 months ago
Windows update needs internet. Only 26,6% of peoples has internet access according to internet usage statics, wich can be viewed on http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Geri
Windows update needs internet. Only 26,6% of peoples has internet access according to internet usage statics, wich can be viewed on http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm
Otherwise, the proper drivers are pre-installed by the system manufacturer. They just aren't updated without internet access.

I like the idea of your library, but I would only use it if it had GL2.0 suppport :/
Developing with GLSL shaders is much less effort for me than using the old fixed-function pipeline. It lets me focus on writing my game and not on learning obscure API details!
Daaark: lot of manufacturers just check the device manager, and if they see the card name, they are install no drivers for the vga. This can mostly happend with small computer stores. Also can happend for computers buyd without os, and os installed by the neighbour ,,Stevie'' :D

Hodgman: currently i am not planning to expand it above OpenGL 1.3, but *MAYBEE* if recive a lot of request, i can add a extension that allows to acces d3d9 pixel shaders. Or if i found some LGPL-ed glsl to hlsl conversion tool, it would be much compatibyer. But this would not result opengl 2.0 features to come in, and the compatibility would be very crap anyway. So if you got no fixed funct fallback in your engine, i suggest you to not buy the software, as you sayd. Later if you will write a fallback in your software becouse of different reasons, and you would use the wrapper, contact me and i help you to place the library into your software.
If your market are small indy developers that release small plat-form/puzzle games, there could be an interest for it.

However I agree with other posters that to be more generally useful, it needs to support GL 2. No offense, but Quake 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein are almost a decade old. You're not proving anything by supporting them.

By the way:

Quote:TitaniumGL is also capable, to render your game with multicore cpu rendering

Can you elaborate ? How can it do that ? Have you done some benchmarks ?

Y.
Daaark: lot of manufacturers just check the device manager, and if they see the card name, they are install no drivers for the vga. This can mostly happend with small computer stores. Also can happend for computers buyd without os, and os installed by the neighbour ,,Stevie'' :D
People who buy from small shops, and get PCs custom built like that generally have internet access, and know how to install drivers. (which Windows update will automatically provide anyways, I haven't downloaded a driver from nVidia's site in years.)

Not supporting Shaders in 2010 is like not supporting texture mapping ten years ago. We are a decade into the age of the programmable pipeline.
Daaark: well, we are in the age of programmable pipeline since ~6 years now (according to Radeon9800/9600), but except the AAA games, nothing is changed.

Ysaneya: yes, you can found a benchmark result on the project's webpage that has tested with multicore cpu rendering (a quake3 and a nehe tutorial), in benchmark d3d mode, the software rendering mode, and to cpmpare, the mesa3d software renderer can be also found.

Of course the wrapper can be forced to software rendering, so can be tryed with quake3 demo at your home. I suggest everyone, who want, to try the wrapper at home, with wolfenstein3d, or everybody-s own game software. It tells much more than some screenshot or benchmark result.

The software renderer is using a multicore cpu rasterizer, that i has rewrited three times to reach this quality and speed.

[Edited by - Geri on April 15, 2010 4:01:08 AM]
Daaark: well, we are in the age of programmable pipeline since ~6 years now (according to Radeon9800/9600), but except the AAA games, nothing is changed.
Geforce 3 and DX8 introduced that stuff in 2001. Everything is done in the programmable pipeline now, fixed function doesn't exist, it's only emulated.
Yes, fixed function is emulated with shaders by the driver nowdays, its true. Yeah, i know that gf3 (and a bit later radeon 8xxx from ati) was the first shader capable cards, but at that time, massive shader usage was unpopular. Even GeForce4 MX contained no pixel shaders, this is why i told radeon 9500+ cards, those was the first cards meant really to the new shader world order.
Yes, fixed function is emulated with shaders by the driver nowdays, its true. Yeah, i know that gf3 (and a bit later radeon 8xxx from ati) was the first shader capable cards, but at that time, massive shader usage was unpopular. Even GeForce4 MX contained no pixel shaders, this is why i told radeon 9500+ cards, those was the first cards meant really to the new shader world order.

Those GF4s were rebranded GF2s for their budget line. Just like the Geforce2 MX was a rebranded GF-256.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement