Diablo 3 graphics

Started by
12 comments, last by SimonForsman 13 years, 12 months ago
Although I don't know what Blizzard has used, there are image processing techniques that produce that "hand-painted" effect. Example. There are more techniques than that I'm sure. It looks like some image processing was done in that GTA 4 screen shot.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Antheus
Quote:Is there like an invisible collision mesh and just a picture on top?

Technically no - it's not like Final Fantasy or similar. But the textures are likely to be rather large and specific - instead of tiling same generic_grass_1 hundreds of times, each level might be one big, manually drawn texture, specific to that level and tweaked for that setting.

I haven't been following Diablo 3, but isn't the levels random/procedurally generated like D1 and D2? In that case it's not one big level but rather a bazillion small hand-made jigsaw pieces that slot neatly together. Anyhoo, It still comes down to having some very skilled art people.

It's getting a bit old, but this article is a good source of information on doing seamless worlds like Diablo: The Continuous World of Dungeon Siege.

About the graphics: To me it also looks like there could be some cel-shading going on, but it's hard to tell. It might "just" be very diffuse lighting and flat textures.

Quote:Original post by Promethium...but isn't the levels random/procedurally generated like D1 and D2?...(Dungeon Siege) doing seamless worlds like Diablo...

Diablo 1 & 2 weren't streamed maps like the one in Dungeon Siege. DS used the approach of streamed data chunks to achive its seamless world map.
D1 & D2 maps were loaded completely to RAM at map start. MapHacks existed and showed the whole map from the beginning in that games.
But you are right, D1 & D2 were randomly generated tiled maps instead.

And after a short look at that D3 screenshot, i see at least one tiled texture layer in that multitextured map! Look at the cobble stone texture layer on the floor. To the left and under the main character (the one at the middle of the screen) you can spot the same stone pattern.

(btw, on a second look, the grass decals using an equal flower pattern)
So, from a technical perspective it doesn't look special. But the textures are nicely drawn ;-)
Quote:Original post by Anntor
So, from a technical perspective it doesn't look special. But the textures are nicely drawn ;-)

This is pretty common for blizzard, i'm guessing they're targeting slightly dated hardware as usual.

Quote:
Jay Wilson
We don't exactly know what the system specs are yet, but we'll try to keep them pretty low. We make a lot of decisions about what we do and do not put into our graphics, in order to keep the game running fast. One of the reasons why we talk a lot about art style, and how we focus a lot on art style, stylization of art over... when we do that it allows us to have a good looking game about falling back on technology, our technology does not have to carry us when we have such great art in the game.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement