Book advice needed, learning computer graphics

Started by
1 comment, last by Ravyne 13 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I'm looking for some book advice. I have browsed through the book section of this site and did not find what I was looking for.

Someday I'd like to make a game, but before I start on that I want to understand the fundamentals of 2D and 3D computer graphics. I don't want a tutorial on DirectX or OpenGL - I want to start from the ground up, learning the math and algorithms as I go. I've seen two books recommended - "Introduction to Computer Graphics (Foley)" and "Computer graphics fundamentals (shirely)".

Both these books are a bit old and I've read some conflicting reviews as to their usefulness to beginners in this space. Are there any other books or resources you would recommend I start with?

I'm comfortable programming in C++, C#.

thanks!
-R
Advertisement
Generally it is a lot wiser to start from the top and work down in this field. Get comfortable with direct x or ogl then learn the more advanced algorithms and implement them with the knowledge you already have.

otherwise.
http://www.amazon.com/Real-Time-Rendering-Third-Tomas-Akenine-Moller/dp/1568814240/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277940867&sr=8-1
Its THE rendering book.
I would strongly disagree with Denzin on the top-down approach -- particularly if you're interested in understanding over immediate results.

Computer Graphics by Foley and Vann Damme, et all is *the* classic graphics text, Its been used commonly in University to teach graphics for a couple decades, and its use continues to this day.

Real-Time Rendering is a Great book, but its a more advanced text, more suitable for one who already has a good grasp of the fundamentals.

Edit: Disagree with Denzin, not the OP.

[Edited by - Ravyne on July 2, 2010 6:47:02 PM]

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement