About new Unity 3.0

Started by
21 comments, last by swiftcoder 13 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
I had chatted with one of the marketing oriented types over there on this issue a while back, and I came away with a somewhat different impression than the links give.
Yeah, I think Unity's version of &#106avascript has often been presented as 'real' &#106avascript, both for name-recognition purposes and (ostensibly) to prevent confusion. As you can probably tell from reading those links though, it's probably caused more confusion than it's prevented :)
Advertisement
The main problem you have with Unityscript and Boo is that they are not used outside Unity, so looking for tutorials on learning &#106avascript wont help you much in the Unity world, where as C# in Unity is the same as C# everywhere else. For instance, Unity 2.6 never had generics for Unityscrpt or Boo. Apparently it does now, but they only place you can learn about it is where UT writes about it. On the other hand, C# is still C#. C# is also a strongly typed which can seem like a restriction when you first start using it, but I basically live in the Unity IRC channel and I never fail to see someone confused about why they're getting a compiler message when they think they're assigning a float but it's really an int etc. There is no help for them anywhere else so they join the IRC channel, where the majority of us that give help are C# programmers.

I've also never heard someone learn C# after using Unityscript and exclaim "OMG Unityscript was so much better!!1!".

C# is also a much more transferrable skill to the non-game world. I can't speak for Boo, I've never encountered anyone in the IRC channel that uses it.
Quote:Original post by BLiTZWiNG
The main problem you have with Unityscript and Boo is that they are not used outside Unity
I hate to bring this up again, but people *do* use Boo outside of Unity. It is a full-featured CLR language, and you can use it anywhere you would use C#, F#, etc.

I personally have been developing my current project in Boo, using Mono/OpenTK for Mac/Linux and SlimDX for Windows.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement