how wrong would it be to do this....?

Started by
22 comments, last by phresnel 13 years, 7 months ago
I can almost guarantee that won't pass peer review if you were to do it.

As for my opinion, I think it's a quick way to drive away your potential customers and would probably make you a leper in the industry.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Yann L
Quote:Original post by Oberon_Command
How many Hitlers is a Stalin?

The conversion is non-linear.

This conversation is non-linear.

Zing!

Sorry.
Quote:Original post by ncsu121978
[joker voice]
Why so serious?
[/joker voice]

and anyway to take the thread a slightly different direction.

Is it really necessary to implement anti-cheating precautions into an XBLIG multiplayer game? The player should not be able to access/modify the in game data as this is only on the xbox. I can understand the reasons if it were on a PC where it would be rather easy to modify the game files/executable and such to cheat. I just dont see that possible on the XBOX. Correct me if I am wrong about that.

I have always thought that if I route my xbox connection through my pc I can sniff the packets and create a radar and give other info. Perhaps I can even modify the packets so the server thinks I have done something which I haven't.

Quote:"Tired of cheaters, griefers, aimbots and players that are just too good? Now comes the revolutionary new FPS/RPG gaming experience, where YOU can be the obnoxious lamer kid with no life at all. Earn enough experience in the game and access several classic online cheating methods, including invulnerability and the possibility of crashing the other players system at just the right moment. Fight your way to the top and gain the ultimate ability to modify the very source code of the game (built every wednesday!) ..."

Let us know how it goes.
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!
Quote:Original post by Rycross
I'd say that the wrongness is about 50 microHitlers, if I had to guess.
If you're using this definition, that's pretty evil.
Quote:Original post by RivieraKid
I have always thought that if I route my xbox connection through my pc I can sniff the packets and create a radar and give other info. Perhaps I can even modify the packets so the server thinks I have done something which I haven't.

Lots of people used to cheat at online console games like this; I think Phantasy Star Online was one of the most obvious cases. The developers just didn't consider the concept of cheating since their console was "locked down."

I suspect Microsoft does some basic anti-cheat inspection as part of their TCR for a commercial product to get rid of the low hanging fruit. XBLIG? Probably not.
As far as the three major forms ethics are concerned..

Virtue Ethics:
Would a virtuous person add in cheat codes so that they could win at their own game? If so, what virtuous trait would they be exhibiting?

Kantian Ethics:
Consider the "Categorical Imperative". Could you will a world were all game developers put in cheat codes so that they always win?

Consequentialism: (utilitarianism)
What's the net effect on aggregate happiness? Does winning at a game increase the total happiness in the world (your happiness would have to outweigh the unhappiness of your opponents)

Personally I say "who cares?". If nobody knows you're cheating, they'll think you're super skilled at your own game.
Quote:Original post by slayemin
Personally I say "who cares?". If nobody knows you're cheating, they'll think you're super skilled at your own game.
I care.

Morals aside, there is REAL harm done.

The cheater gets no real joy from the victory. They know they are frauds. You yourself will know the truth, and miss out on the joy, elation, self esteem, and satisfaction that is due to those who compete honestly.

Opponents get no real joy from a difficult battle. Opponents will not congratulate you, they will rightly react with contempt or anger. They may all quit the game early knowing there is a pathetic cheater in the game.

Observers get nothing from watching, especially when the cheat is obvious. Fans will not cheer you on, they will leave in disgust.

Community at large is harmed by cheaters. Every game that is joined by a cheater loses its thrill. Nobody wants to play with a cheater, and communities that are plagued with cheaters rapidly lose their quality. Many games have transformed from healthy competitive environments into stagnant cesspools because of a few cheaters.

Cheaters corrupt the entire industry. "I don't want to play FPS games, there are too many cheaters" you hear. Or perhaps saying like, "I don't visit public servers, everyone cheats". It becomes harder to attract new players, and difficult to retain those who are honest and pay the bills. I am one of many people who stopped paying for LIVE service because cheaters ruined the experience.

Cheaters rightly deserve disgust and a swift ban. It doesn't matter if they were the authors of the game or a script kiddie, they are a blight on the community at large.

Finally, if you work at a major studio and a hack like that is discovered in a shipped game, especially on a LIVE or PSN title, you will almost certainly be fired when it is eventually discovered.
Quote:Original post by Valderman
Quote:Original post by Rycross
I'd say that the wrongness is about 50 microHitlers, if I had to guess.
If you're using this definition, that's pretty evil.

I'd never seen that thread, but they did bring up the original location I heard it. And the mystery is solved.
Quote:Original post by frob
Quote:Original post by slayemin
I care.

Morals aside, there is REAL harm done.

The cheater gets no real joy from the victory. They know they are frauds. You yourself will know the truth, and miss out on the joy, elation, self esteem, and satisfaction that is due to those who compete honestly.

Opponents get no real joy from a difficult battle. Opponents will not congratulate you, they will rightly react with contempt or anger. They may all quit the game early knowing there is a pathetic cheater in the game.

Observers get nothing from watching, especially when the cheat is obvious. Fans will not cheer you on, they will leave in disgust.

Community at large is harmed by cheaters. Every game that is joined by a cheater loses its thrill. Nobody wants to play with a cheater, and communities that are plagued with cheaters rapidly lose their quality. Many games have transformed from healthy competitive environments into stagnant cesspools because of a few cheaters.

Cheaters corrupt the entire industry. "I don't want to play FPS games, there are too many cheaters" you hear. Or perhaps saying like, "I don't visit public servers, everyone cheats". It becomes harder to attract new players, and difficult to retain those who are honest and pay the bills. I am one of many people who stopped paying for LIVE service because cheaters ruined the experience.

Cheaters rightly deserve disgust and a swift ban. It doesn't matter if they were the authors of the game or a script kiddie, they are a blight on the community at large.

Finally, if you work at a major studio and a hack like that is discovered in a shipped game, especially on a LIVE or PSN title, you will almost certainly be fired when it is eventually discovered.

Eh, you're contempt for cheaters is noted and probably shared by a lot of people. Normally, people will spend a huge amount of time developing and refining a skill. We seem to get angry when someone doesn't have to go through the same growing process because there's a disparity between effort and reward.

My take is that "Life just isn't fair". People competing against other people in war, business, academia, love, games, whatever, and will do whatever they can to get an advantage over their opposition. Whether that's getting pointier sticks, stealing trade secrets, sabotage, taking credit for someone elses work, or adding a secret cheat code to your own game, it's just the way things are always going to be. It's probably legacy hard-wiring from our evolutionary past. In a sense, games of every sort are practice and training for challenges in reality. Learning how to get ahead can be a useful skill, though some of the methods may be Machiavellian.

If you created a game and were able to cheat in a subtle way where you gain an undetectable advantage, more power to you. If it still bothers you, just think of it as another rule to playing the game. "If player X logs in, they get bonus resources!"

Here's an interesting question: Would you consider discovering and using exploits to be cheating or a sign of mastering the game?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement