OpenAL utility toolkit hang

Started by
4 comments, last by ccsdu2004 13 years, 5 months ago
I'm having some difficulty with alut. When I close my program the last few sounds that are played gets repeated/stutters, extremely annoying. I am initializing OpenAL with alutInit(0,0) and I set an exit function.

void openALexit(){  if(alutExit()!=AL_TRUE){    error.writeToLog("alutExit error");  }}...// InitializationalutInit(0,0);alGetError();atexit(openALexit);

Before the program has exited I unbind all my buffers (using AL_NONE) and free them using alDeleteBuffers. This is wrapped in the function deleteAllSoundBuffers(). I then delete the sources:

OpenALObject::~OpenALObject(){  deleteAllSoundBuffers(); // Deletes all openal buffers  for(int i=0;i<MAX_CHANNELS;i++){    alDeleteSources(1,&mGSoundSource.mSource);    if(alGetError()!=AL_NO_ERROR){      error.writeToLog("alDeleteSources error.");    }  }}

The program deletes all my buffers and sources before the atexit function is called. I have also tried running the program without the atexit function and directly call alutexit() when the program reaches the end, same problem. I have absolutely no clue why the stuttering can be heard. There should be no sources or buffers present.

Any help appreciated.
Advertisement
I got the same problem but I can't really remember what I have done to get rid of the audio artifacts. Did you have tried to stop the sources before deleting them, even if deleting the sources should stop the sound automatically ?
Quote:Original post by Ashaman73
I got the same problem but I can't really remember what I have done to get rid of the audio artifacts. Did you have tried to stop the sources before deleting them, even if deleting the sources should stop the sound automatically ?

Thanks for the reply. Yes sorry forgot to mention that, the sources are stopped before they are deleted using alSourceStop.
Well, it seems that the topic is wrong. I still get the sound stutters on exit even when I have removed alut from the project. So the cause must lay in OpenAL itself.

I now use a wave loader I found at Creative labs (CWaves.cpp/CWaves.h). I am no closer to solving the problem however.

[edit]

... After a bit of testing I found out that the stutters disappears when not using the default device. Instead I specify "Generic Software" as the device. I guess this will leave out some hardware effects :P well, I didn't plan on using any of them anyway.

[Edited by - O-san on October 14, 2010 8:45:41 AM]
This is the way I setup my open al context/device:
	// open device	m_device = alcOpenDevice((ALubyte*)"DirectSound3D");	logErrorStatus();	// success ?	if (m_device == NULL)	{		BsDebug::trace("FATAL ERROR: can't open device");		return false;	}	//Create context(s)	m_context = alcCreateContext(m_device, NULL);	logErrorStatus();	//Set active context	alcMakeContextCurrent(m_context);	logErrorStatus();

This way I shut it down:
	//Get active context	m_context=alcGetCurrentContext();	//Get device for active context	m_device=alcGetContextsDevice(m_context);	//Disable context	alcMakeContextCurrent(NULL);	//Release context(s)	alcDestroyContext(m_context);	//Close device	alcCloseDevice(m_device);

Thought I still use direct sound under vista, hmm...

My God,
OpenAL is good good to use,due to complexity of it.
I write an audio engine(GAudio---short for Game Audio Engine)(this library is designed for my game engine-GEngine.)
You can use it for learn freely!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement