Shadow mapping problem

Started by
22 comments, last by bushmanpaul 13 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by bushmanpaul
The shadow you are seeing is most probably also a inaccuracy with the float. Using D3D10_CULL_BACK to create the depth map from the lights view(this only works if you are using closed meshes) would usually solve most issues with edges of shadows

Can you please include a screen shot of the problem.

I am actually using directx 9, so that wouldn't work. Also, the reason I'm rendering the backfaces for the shadow map is because there is less worry about float imprecision.

Here is a screenshot of the problem:

http://imgur.com/nD7Q2

As you can see, due to PCF, the boundary has some shadow that's not supposed to be there.
Advertisement
dont forget to take ambient light into account and make the shadows translucent, they look much better ;)
Quote:Original post by rouncED
dont forget to take ambient light into account and make the shadows translucent, they look much better ;)

I do, but my ambient light is extremely low.
I'm not sure what is the cause of the problem. Do they go away when you don't use PCF ? Is this the only place where it happens when two objects overlap?

Try reducing bias perhaps the back faces are to close to the front and they interfere. When sampling points further away from the origin try to sample them as if they were closer to the light (sampling points then form a sort of cone ).Otherwise I am not sure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement