No Answer about Application - Am I totally useless?

Started by
67 comments, last by notnoted 13 years, 5 months ago
Agree with the above. If that resume was in a pile of other applicants, it would have been placed aside as it would too hard to read quickly.

I wouldn't email the portfolio as previous suggested as they can be quite large in filesize and can get caught in spam filters. Personally, I just link mine.

Look at other people's CVs and resumes here. Research into the format and information that needs to be on it for YOUR country.

Also, I recommend read this series of articles: http://leewinder.co.uk/blog/?cat=11

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by yaustar
I wouldn't email the portfolio as previous suggested as they can be quite large in filesize and can get caught in spam filters. Personally, I just link mine.

Yeah, that's definitely a fair strategy. What's really important is fixing the formatting of your resume [smile].

-me

Since you are applying for positions is Germany you may want to follow the guidelines given by Duden and use one of their templates.
Hi and thanks for your replies.

@Kambiz
Quote:
Since you are applying for positions is Germany you may want to follow the guidelines given by Duden and use one of their templates.

I asked this question before, but what should I do if the application website of the company here in germany is wirtten in english?
Should I apply in German or in English? Someone suggestes using English.

And some vacancies of those German companies mention a resume, but I mean, does the English resume style apply here?
Quote:Original post by notnoted
Hi and thanks for your replies.

@Kambiz
Quote:

I asked this question before, but what should I do if the application website of the company here in germany is wirtten in english?
Should I apply in German or in English? Someone suggestes using English.

And some vacancies of those German companies mention a resume, but I mean, does the English resume style apply here?

I didn't told You to apply in German. Duden have also example of resumes in English. Regardless of the language they describe very well in their books how a resume should look like and they are the number one reference in Germany if you want to write a formal document.

I don't know what language they expect, I cannot help you with that.
The question was another one, but thank you anyway.
Quote:Should I apply in German or in English? Someone suggestes using English.

I suggested that you would contact them first and ask them what language they wanted although English would be a safe bet if the site was in English.

Since the company is in Germany, I would use whatever is the standard format for Germany is and include all the necessary information. For example, after a quick 5 sec Google, it is a requirement to also include a passport photograph and date of birth. Did your previous applications include this information?

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

No further question.

[Edited by - notnoted on November 11, 2010 4:31:37 AM]
Since this thread has reached its 3rd page, I want to end this here, because it is not worth to talk about such every day questions any longer.

My initial question was answered.

Here is the general overview of this thread if someone similar to me and my skills is looking for help.

Education
I have just left college with a Bachelor degree of Bachelor of Science here in Germany.

Skills
I have no industry experience but the following skills(the most important):
- 8 years cpp
- 4 years opengl
- java, php, mysql, html, python, ..
- visual studio 2005, 2008, 2010
- paralle studio 2010/2011
- 64 bit programming
- iPod programming(gauss-seidel based fluid solver) including Objective C UI programming
- Playstation 3 IBM Cell BE Processor Ray Tracer with triangle data not implicit surfaces
- work with scrum, learned at college
plus
- worked as a tutor in a the Master computer graphics course as a Bachelor student during my Bachelor studies
plus
- recommendation from professor

Page 1-2 is about my skills pertaining to the jobs I applied for. The essence of those answers is, although not every post on those pages aim straight to the initial problem:

- Wait longer than two weeks or even months.
- send massive applications and dont complain if you feel bad after your 8th application

Most important
If you apply for a junior position, dont think that your are perfectly suited for that job despite the skills listed above! Other develpers with maybe >3 year of game industry experience might also apply for the same job!

Page 3
Here you can find information about the resume. On top, you find my really bad resume(not complete) and some very helpful comments about it on this page.

Conclusion
If you are like me, question the same questions, then here is your thread. You also find some very, very helpful links on those pages, particularly the links in the signatures of some participants.

Finally
Thank you all for your patience and help! I appreciate it much that you all shared your experience with me in order to help me improve my sight of the reality and about how a resume really has to look like(although I did heavy research before, but messed it up!). I want to appologise if I have injured someone's competence through my naivety.

Thanks alot

P.S.
Please do not comment any further, because I want to have this as the last post in order to help someone else looking for answers!

[Edited by - notnoted on November 11, 2010 7:24:19 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement