Rebirth Community

Started by
27 comments, last by yesman169 13 years, 4 months ago
What it entails
Okay i have been working on a game design for some time now and i have created one. Not only is this a fps but a rts, worked into a multiplayer online game.

Game Idea
Its a zombie based game, online multiplayer that allows players to take part in defending each other's forts, going on quests to save the inhabitants from destruction or for those who want complete power of the world, to command and conquer the domain and be the leader of many, against the walking dead.
There is a single player and multiplayer game mode.
Single Player
The single player aspect of it entails, that the user can either go through a campaign to get to "safety" or can barricade up, sit tight and help fellow survivors on a endless onslaught of zombie warfare.
Multiplayer
The multiplayer part is the more interesting to those gamers of games like left4dead, dead rising, i know what you are thinking reading this, it does copy everything, every zombie game has came out with. This is where you are wrong.

What makes it unique
In every other zombie killing game, you are either trapped in a building fighting to defend it, moving around to reach one goal, can only use objects that are given to you, blah blah blah, they are boring, what would be more interesting is the part i left out about my game. It allows every object to be used, period. If you pick up a piece of wood, you can hammer it to your barricade. if you find a rpg, you can mount it on your fort where ever. anything is possible. now your thinking well thats not that interesting, now think, you start off with nothing a lonely wander, you can either build a camp, from scratch, building a lean too, or you can find more survivors, build onto existing structures, or build your own. Using materials that are found in the game, wood off houses, trees that you cut down, anything is usable that is my pitch i have a site up and running right now, i have some people already signing up to join in, all i need is a engine that would fit my game and the thought from others that this is a viable game.

well i have changed the idea to a more simple game, when i get more widespread support i shall be on my way to the world of multiplayer online gaming! here is the new idea.
Game Concept

What’s the game about

The basic concept of the game is a run a gun, free roam zombie killing mayhem. four players start out in a the main part of the map; if the map is a baseball arena, the players will start out near the gates. The players do not have to pay for anything, just survive, getting highest score, the most time survived, or just plain getting the heck out of there.

Rounds

There is no set time that a round will end, instead it is totally based on how great you are with that shotgun, or any other weapon you choose, and getting the set amount of kills. After the round ends the player is transported to a screen that has the player info and stats, the player from there can level up certain ability, use blueprints to obtain special items or weapons, get some kick ass customization done to your clothes or your weapon and get right back to the action. This little siesta will allow players to take a break from the game and get a drink, quick bathroom break, go outside, or defend themselves from zombie mayhem of their own.

Items/Weapons

The item and weapon category will start out very miniscule. Items may only startout with basic clothing, but will later lead to being able to wear, kevlar, leather jackets, and other heavy apparel protecting you from the undead. Guns may only start out with two or three options, but as the game progresses, so does the complexity, and use of these weapons. The weapons range from a standard pistol, to a make shift bazooka, obtaining any of these weapons, will allow achievements to be unlocked and

Achievements

Achievements the moment that everyone has waited for to be mentioned. This game allows so many easy and difficult achievements, hand crafted from the smartest minds, these achievements will keep you playing this never ending zombie mayhem, each level holding its on deep dark secrets and every weapon expecting to be customized, the player will have the most outrageous time trying to complete them all.

Map packs and Weapons Galore

Maps and Weapons will be constantly modified and added to the game, the game will not alway have set locations for weapons making it difficult for the player to complete master the game. Weapons will be added due to the great minds that are the players, playing the game, everyones opinion matters and will be taken into account. Maps will be constantly added as well, there may be only a mall and a baseball arena, but just you wait, there will be tons more in store for everyone to be amazed with.

Sorry if this is either in the wrong section, wrote incorrectly or so on, i really wanted to get this pitch out to the dev community.

<gamedevzombies.blogspot.com>

[Edited by - yesman169 on December 21, 2010 7:56:36 AM]
Advertisement
Quote:
It allows every object to be used, period. If you pick up a piece of wood, you can hammer it to your barricade. if you find a rpg, you can mount it on your fort where ever. anything is possible. now your thinking well thats not that interesting..

Well, this sounds really interesting. A game with this degree of freedom is often called sandbox game. The trouble with this kind of games is, that they are incredible difficult to create. When you analyse some of sandbox games you will see that the degree of freedom is quite limited. The degree of freedom depends a lot on visual quality of the game. Games like dwarven fortress, which have a very high degree of freedom, are in ascii, not because the game creators are lazy, but a similar game in a 3d visual stunning environment is currently not feasable (otherwise show me the proof :_) ). Other games like GTA IV have a quite high degree of freedom compared to a standard fps game, but is still far away from what you are planning to do.

Eventually the dilema is, go for visuals or go for freedom. Trying to combine both bears the risk to making an unfeasalbe game concept.

Quote:Original post by yesman169
blah blah blah, they are boring.

Indeed. The fan bases and communities of those games really suffer from the fact that they're all dull.

Quote:Original post by yesman169
It allows every object to be used, period. If you pick up a piece of wood, you can hammer it to your barricade. if you find a rpg, you can mount it on your fort where ever. anything is possible.

I hope you don't plan on syncing lots and polygons representing individual wooden boards between many players.
But sure, the idea is great. I had it too, I just think some abstraction could help here.
For instance, how about having premade objects, blueprints for shelters that people could place.
Each blueprint would then require a set amount of materials, which players can supply. When the requirements have been met, a shelter spawns instead, and the blueprint disappears. That would make things a bit easier.
Then, sockets for upgrade blueprints such as turrets could exist different places on shelter blueprints and such. You could do this with standard game making tools of today.

Quote:Original post by Ashaman73
but a similar game in a 3d visual stunning environment is currently not feasable

Actually i think yesman169 is being a bit vague about the technical specifications for his design.
Take for instance if he decided to create his game on the top of GarrysMod for Source. - It would definitely be possible, even with just a few players.
But having a vast world to do this in with state-of-the art graphics and physics would be more difficult. Much more, agreed.
How about having 'blueprints' user created?
Have a grid based editor with various materials and items that you can put together, and when it's done it tells you the materials needed. this means the player structures are still designed and put together like the player wants, but there is no massive calculations to be done. Have a few readymade ones to, for the less creative types.

Think B&K: Nuts and Bolts or... well thats all I can think of really.

EDIT: For existing structures, office blocks and such, have them all selectable. Once selected the editor comes up etc... Maybe have barricades for windows and stuff 'auto placed'. Just click the 'barricade' button and then on the windows and doors you want. Gather materials, voila!
Quote:Original post by JamesPenny
How about having 'blueprints' user created?
Have a grid based editor with various materials and items that you can put together, and when it's done it tells you the materials needed. this means the player structures are still designed and put together like the player wants, but there is no massive calculations to be done. Have a few readymade ones to, for the less creative types.

Think B&K: Nuts and Bolts or... well thats all I can think of really.

Exactly! All the precomputing and vertex buffer creation can be performed
the moment the user saves the blueprint. Also, the blueprints could be shared with friends and eventually teammates if they work well.

...All there's left to do is integrate an >easy-to-use< editor into the game. Kapow! Now the game will take twice the time to develop!
Okay, realism aside i really think that would be a nice solution if integrated properly. Just that user created content can be both good and bad...
It's all down to the limitations and features of that editor, then.
Just give the user a simple voxel editor, that's what I'll do in my survival game.

Now let's hope the users don't create lots of tiny, phallos-shaped blueprints and spawns a lot of them, destroying the multiplayer experience.
You guys are literally living in my mind! i would love to have you guys aboard to be artistic designers and idea makers! haha god this game has so much potential i dont mean to brag, my 3D artist is amazing! she has great 3D models, my story board people are doing great, i would love for you guys to be a part of it, right now the site is what is listed above, soon it will be moved to a more permanent site, i would love for you guys to comment, email me,etc to sign up.
Sounds interesting. Keep up the ideas flowing Yesman. And Welcome to the forum.
I have been watching http://worldforge.org/games/mason for years looking forward to a time when simple engine construction is ready. (There are only what, five is it or seven basic types of machine, from inclined plane through pulley to whatever?)

Are you doing it from scratch in six months or using something that already has most of the sandbox construction of things already implemented in order to accomplish such a timeframe?

Which are you building first, everything but the physicals/mechanics construction set or the construction set?

I am lazy, I just check how Mason is coming along every few years figuring until it is working I might as well not plan on using its functionality for a while yet. (There isn't a lot I could do myself to move it along, I kind of basically agree it is not as easy as one might at first blush imagine.)

There seems to always be room for more zombiemania though! Who cares if it has physics or is in ascii art or whatever, if it is zombies that is good, right?

But wait... you're bored of zombies? No that can't be right. Its zombies! Wake up and smell the rotting flesh! Eat the brains! Mmmmmmm, braaaiiiiinnnnzzzzz!
well i have changed the idea to a more simple game, when i get more widespread support i shall be on my way to the world of multiplayer online gaming! here is the new idea.
Game Concept

What’s the game about

The basic concept of the game is a run a gun, free roam zombie killing mayhem. four players start out in a the main part of the map; if the map is a baseball arena, the players will start out near the gates. The players do not have to pay for anything, just survive, getting highest score, the most time survived, or just plain getting the heck out of there.

Rounds

There is no set time that a round will end, instead it is totally based on how great you are with that shotgun, or any other weapon you choose, and getting the set amount of kills. After the round ends the player is transported to a screen that has the player info and stats, the player from there can level up certain ability, use blueprints to obtain special items or weapons, get some kick ass customization done to your clothes or your weapon and get right back to the action. This little siesta will allow players to take a break from the game and get a drink, quick bathroom break, go outside, or defend themselves from zombie mayhem of their own.

Items/Weapons

The item and weapon category will start out very miniscule. Items may only startout with basic clothing, but will later lead to being able to wear, kevlar, leather jackets, and other heavy apparel protecting you from the undead. Guns may only start out with two or three options, but as the game progresses, so does the complexity, and use of these weapons. The weapons range from a standard pistol, to a make shift bazooka, obtaining any of these weapons, will allow achievements to be unlocked and

Achievements

Achievements the moment that everyone has waited for to be mentioned. This game allows so many easy and difficult achievements, hand crafted from the smartest minds, these achievements will keep you playing this never ending zombie mayhem, each level holding its on deep dark secrets and every weapon expecting to be customized, the player will have the most outrageous time trying to complete them all.

Map packs and Weapons Galore

Maps and Weapons will be constantly modified and added to the game, the game will not alway have set locations for weapons making it difficult for the player to complete master the game. Weapons will be added due to the great minds that are the players, playing the game, everyones opinion matters and will be taken into account. Maps will be constantly added as well, there may be only a mall and a baseball arena, but just you wait, there will be tons more in store for everyone to be amazed with.
Sounds like something the DOOM or QUAKE engine was made for?

Maybe just hack the art to make it zombies instead of whatever monsters they have by default, then start hacking in more weapons and such and the achievements or whatever?

There might already be level editors and weapon creation editors and such already out there for something like that too.

Have you done level creation and weapon creation before, so as to have a real sense of how easy or hard such things are to do?

I really really do not like having to risk seeming discouraging but the reality tends to be that some people end up finding even really really simple stuff like making a Battle for Wesnoth scenario difficult to do let alone some of the much much more challenging things they'd like to do.

Maybe you could even plot and storyboard your game as a Battle for Wesnoth scenario to have an actual playable plotline and storyline storyboard first before worrying about getting cinematographers in to see about rendering it in ever more glorious gory detail?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement