Single threaded TCP server

Started by
11 comments, last by hplus0603 13 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Bow_vernon
So, youre saying that MUD server in windows is ridiculous?oh damn, Im not used to using linux, I wish to program in windows but run it in linux. well I believe it can be done. And umm I think I found a practical and robust way of using select()...I'll try it at weekend...

It depends on what you're aiming at, Today there really isn't any problems with running a MUD in Windows other than the licensing costs for the OS, If you are hosting the server yourself and allready have a license for the machine in question that cost is irrelevant (Since you've allready payed it).

If you intend to rent a server going with Windows usually increase costs by $10-$120 per month (Varies between companies and Windows versions), pretty much all cheap hosts are Linux or BSD only.

Writing crossplatform software isn't that difficult and in the case of a MUD server the amount of platform specific code needed is quite small, i think Boost includes pretty much everything you need.

You could download a virtualization program to run Linux with for testing purposes. (VirtualBox is good and free and there are even premade images for various Linux distributions for it so that you don't have to bother with installing the OS)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Advertisement
thx for your input. Id like to program it in my pc (windows) yet run it on my school server pc(suse linux).
I dont want to use third party library...I think I'll go my way (select + nonblocking + single threaded), almost all MUD server I've seen use epoll (not select)because they're UNIX...
Consumer versions of Windows don't work well for large servers, because of some mostly artificial limitations.
This is why there is a Windows Server version -- which costs a lot more to license. On the upside, I believe you get a copy of IIS and a copy of SQL Server with your Windows Server license.
But, when Ubuntu comes for free, can run as many sockets as you want, and comes with Apache and MySQL for free, it's kind-of hard to argue with that...
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement