couple of questions

Started by
5 comments, last by OneThreeThreeSeven 13 years, 4 months ago
if I got it right, GLUT and SDL are used with openGL in similar way/propose.
Which is better to use and what each one capable of doing?

I understand that openGL only used for graphics and for input and such you have to use another library.
I've saw there is openAL and openIL. Are they good?
Advertisement
2. OpenGL is only used for graphics. It does not handle input.
Quote:Original post by ibebrett
2. OpenGL is only used for graphics. It does not handle input.

You didn't understand me, I asked if openAL (audio) and openIL (input) are a good choice for other stuff then graphics?
Well, this cheese and ham sandwich I'm eating is "good." Does that answer your question?

(Less flippantly: whether they're "good" depends on your project. Which platforms do you need to run on? Which input devices do you need to support, and which audio formats and effects? What programming style do you like? Do you need lots of support and documentation, or can you figure everything out on your own? Do you need the source code? Are there licensing issues you need to account for?)

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Well OpenIL (AKA DevIL) is an image loader, so will not be great for input.

I think SDL is fantastic, because it is really simple and gets out of your way. GLUT is fairly awful if I remember correctly.
You should take a look at SFML. It does pretty much everything SDL with all its extensions can do and it can be used with OpenGL for input, text, audio and maybe even 2D graphics. It's also fairly easy to use and - of course - cross platform.
Use Dark Basic.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement