Where should I start?

Started by
4 comments, last by tastybeef 13 years, 4 months ago
I am new to programming and I need help with where I should start.
I want to make a pretty simple 2D game preferably in C++.
What programs e.t.c will I need to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you
Advertisement
At minimum you'll need a compiler and IDE, or Integrated Development Environment. Assuming you're using Windows, the best freely available option is probably Microsoft's Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition. Code::Blocks would also be a good option if you're looking for an alternative.

You'll need to start by learning the basics of programming, which is usually done by following a book or online tutorials and writing console (i.e. text based) programs, after which you can choose and learn a graphics API such as SFML or SDL.

That being said, is there any reason you're choosing to start with C++? If that's what you want to use it's a perfectly good choice, but I'd personally recommend the C# or Python programming languages instead, as they tend to be more approachable for a beginner.

Hope that helps! [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thank you :D
I have got code blocks now. I currently have a book called Accelerated C++.
I will have a read through it.
Quote:Original post by tastybeef
I have got code blocks now.
Great! Make sure you've also got a compiler set up to use with it -- the download page should have had two different downloads; one of them includes the MinGW compiler and the other does not. If you chose the download that doesn't include a compiler or if you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7 (the bundled compiler apparently doesn't play nice on those versions) you'll need to follow the instructions for installing a supported compiler. If you chose the version that includes MinGW and are using an older version of Windows you should be ready to go. [smile]

Quote:I currently have a book called Accelerated C++.
I will have a read through it.
That one is a pretty good choice -- make sure you actually work through the exercises in the book as well as reading it. You'll pick up the necessary skills much faster and more properly if you actually try things out.

Good luck!

- Jason Astle-Adams

Just a couple of for-noob pointers:

- do exercises for every chapter (if there are any). If you can't, think of something you can do to try your hand in what you've learned and what you've learned before.

- Experience is more important than "how much you know." Experiment and open your mind :D

- if something fails, do everything you can to fix it. Refer for help only when you 100% must. You're not learning as much when people give you the solution rather than figuring it out yourself.

Bottom line is: THINK!!!! and you'll be fine ;]

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

thanks for the help :)
I will hopefully get to grips with it all and get through the whole book.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement