Making a Game with an Anime-based Story, Characters....

Started by
2 comments, last by Mind Calamity 13 years, 4 months ago
Hi, so I'm planning on developing a game with a friend of mine (offline RPG), so I have 2 ideas when it comes to the actual plot of the game:

1. Naruto/Bleach Based (Story, Characters, Skills, Maps....)
2. Our own idea (Characters, Skills, Maps (no story yet)).

So which would be a better option, I would prefer to develop an anime-based game, however I'm afraid of doing so because of all the licensing and stuff, I know that the episodes are licensed by FUNImation and what-not, but I'm just using the names of the villages, skills, and the characters, they can't be copyrighted right ? (I can skip the story and develop my own)

Anyway to get-around all the licenses ?

This seemed like the most appropriate forum to post on, move this thread if I'm wrong...
Advertisement
Of course they are copyrighted!

And you can't use them, don't even try to ask for a license, as two hobbyists you will never get one.
However, if the game is only for you and your friends, there's no problem. It's called a "fan game", and they won't bother with it (they won't even know).

If you want to release your game publicly, you will need to make your own property. I encourage you to do so in every case, creativity is what matters.
Characters and Locations are copyrighted. Skills, however, are not necessarily copyrighted depending on the names of them. See if they exist elsewhere (synonyms and the like work as well). If they do, you most likely could use them.
Quote:Original post by Dragonsoulj
Characters and Locations are copyrighted. Skills, however, are not necessarily copyrighted depending on the names of them. See if they exist elsewhere (synonyms and the like work as well). If they do, you most likely could use them.

Thanks for your reply Dragonsoulj, that's what I thought too.
Thanks for your replies.

I guess I will go with idea no.2 for the time being.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement