C++ is required but with what ?

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 13 years, 4 months ago
As I was reading some topics in gameCareerguide

I found this topic : http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/396/ask_the_experts_programmer_.php

I noticed that it's very recommended to have a powerful C++ knowledge to apply in games programming field

But C++ with what ? Do I have to work with APIs like DirectX

or I can simply use an engine like Irrlicht or GDK

What's the companies want ?
Advertisement
There's an entire forum on this site dedicated to Breaking Into the Games Industry. You'll probably find better info there than in this forum.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

Quote:Original post by Small programmer
I noticed that it's very recommended to have a powerful C++ knowledge to apply in games programming field

But C++ with what ? Do I have to work with APIs like DirectX

or I can simply use an engine like Irrlicht or GDK

What's the companies want ?
Console games and most major titles use C++.

When first breaking in you won't be expected to be an expert on DirectX or other specific libraries. However, you should be well versed in the language.

You should be able to write games like Tetris or Pac-Man or even Monopoly on your own with enough time, using whatever libraries you feel are appropriate. It doesn't have to be any particular API, but it does have to be something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement