What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Started by
486 comments, last by GameDev.net 13 years ago

'Gaiiden' said:

I'm not really interested in deciding what's useful to other people or not in regards to the social buttons. I know the fact that I see them everywhere else I go doesn't mean we have to have them too, but the fact is I see them everywhere else I go and I barely notice them anymore. But that's just me.

Speaking of buttons, if find the download.png button at the bottom of a thread a curious one. Apparently you can use it to download the raw HTML of the page?

That it seems. Without CSS though.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement

'Gaiiden' said:

So is this a real issue in some other browser?

It's happening to me in Chrome. But, it's not for new posts, it's specifically for editing an existing post.

Test: :)

Edit: yup, still happening.

Which version? I'm using 8.0.552.224 and I haven't experienced any sort of trouble...
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Same version. Again, it happens if you have the smiley in the original post. Edit that post, uncheck the emoticon check box and then preview. The emoticon check box then gets reset to on.

It's happening to me in Chrome. But, it's not for new posts, it's specifically for editing an existing post.

I see it now, it's when you edit an existing post where smilies were enabled when you first made that post. Okay, logging that as a bug and updating the journal

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

'SiCrane' said:

I see it now, it's when you edit an existing post where smilies were enabled when you first made that post. Okay, logging that as a bug and updating the journal

That type of stuff should probably be submitted to invisionpower.com in their tracker, not ours. That's a core software bug.

Okay, logging that as a bug and updating the journal

I already submitted it as a bug.
Ref the ratings, I think we have two separate issues here - ratings system as it applied to the technical posts and ratings system as it applied to the lounge posts.

The lounge culture and the technical forums were really two different things in my view, almost two different communities really. I'd argue the old system worked very well on the technical forums and I guess very badly in the lounge, although I wasn't in the habit of posting or even reading that much personally.

So my view is that it is a shame that the failure in the lounge (which is also, I feel, the source of the vast majority of complaints about the old system) has led to the removal of what I and others feel was a very effective system for the technical forums. But then as a largely non-lounge user who comes to the site for technical content rather than chatter, I suppose I would think that. I fully respect that the lounge is an important part of the community for many and the two sides need to co-exist.

Aside from the above, I'm adjusting to the new site, I'm actually pleased I no longer have to pay for an avatar and a journal and I look forward to seeing the future improvements. That certainly wasn't my initial attitude but I've apologised enough about that :).

That type of stuff should probably be submitted to invisionpower.com in their tracker, not ours. That's a core software bug.

Right but I want it in ours too since members can't see the ones we send in to IPS right?

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Is it just me, or do the forum list no longer tell you if a new message has been left in the forum since your last visit (ie, all the icons are the same, unless the topic is closed)? This is quite annoying.

Is it just me, or do the forum list no longer tell you if a new message has been left in the forum since your last visit (ie, all the icons are the same, unless the topic is closed)? This is quite annoying.

This was mentioned in Gaiden's blog post: there's a link at the bottom of forum pages to mark the board as read. Click that to get the icons to change.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement