D3D9: Can't create a depth texture as rendertarget

Started by
1 comment, last by MJP 13 years, 3 months ago
I'm trying to create a depth texture to eventually use as a render target, but for the moment I cannot even create a texture with any of the D3DFMT_D* texture formats. I have a reasonably recent card (nvidia 8800, supports DX10.1), so I wouldn't have thought it would be unsupported (I can do it with OpenGL without problem).

Is there any reason why this call should fail?

_d3dDevice->CreateTexture(512, 512, 1, USAGE_RENDERTARGET, D3DFMT_D24X8, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &_d3dTexture,NULL);

Direct3D9: (ERROR) :Invalid format specified for texture
Direct3D9: (ERROR) :Failure trying to create a texture

(I have also tried usage as USAGE_DEPTHSTENCIL | USAGE_RENDERTARGET ) with the same result.

It works if I change it to A8R8G8B8. But I've tried D24S8, D32, D16, etc and all just say "Invalid format". Is it just not legal to create a depth texture type render target? I know there are limitations with sampling in the pixel shader, but I thought you could at least render to one.

I'm stumped, any ideas?

I thought to maybe check it with CheckDeviceFormat, but to be honest I don't really understand the parameters, I don't understand the distinction between AdapterFormat and CheckFormat, maybe I just don't really understand what the function is trying to achieve, could be wrong.

If it's not possible to render to a depth texture, is it possible to reasonably quickly blit a depth surface to a D3D9 texture each frame? I'm hoping to avoid having to rewrite all my shaders to support MRT just to get the depth information from a scene (as in writing depth to a generic color channel as well as the depth buffer).
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
Advertisement
Here are relevant bits from my code

#define FOURCC_NULL ((D3DFORMAT)(MAKEFOURCC('N','U','L','L')))
LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 gDSTex = 0;
LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 gDSSurf = 0;
LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 gDummySurf = 0;
hr = gD3D9->GetAdapterDisplayMode(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, &DisplayMode);
D3DFORMAT zFormat = D3DFMT_D24X8;
hr = gD3D9->CheckDeviceFormat(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, DisplayMode.Format, D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET, D3DRTYPE_SURFACE, FOURCC_NULL);
if(FAILED(hr))
{
//ADD YOUR ERROR MSG BOX
return false;
}

hr = gD3D9->CheckDepthStencilMatch(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, DisplayMode.Format, FOURCC_NULL, zFormat);
if(FAILED(hr))
{ //ADD YOUR ERROR MSG BOX
return false;
}
hr = gD3D9Device->CreateRenderTarget(SMAP_SIZE, SMAP_SIZE, FOURCC_NULL, D3DMULTISAMPLE_NONE, 0, FALSE, &gDummySurf, 0);
if(FAILED(hr))
{
//ADD YOUR ERROR MSG BOX
return false;
}
hr = gD3D9Device->CreateTexture(
SMAP_SIZE, SMAP_SIZE, 1, D3DUSAGE_DEPTHSTENCIL, zFormat, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &gDSTex, 0);
if(FAILED(hr))
{
//ADD YOUR ERROR MSG BOX
return false;
}
hr = gDSTex->GetSurfaceLevel(0, &gDSSurf);
if(FAILED(hr))
{
//ADD YOUR ERROR MSG BOX
return false;
}
hr = gD3D9Device->SetRenderTarget(0, gDummySurf);
hr = gD3D9Device->SetDepthStencilSurface(gDSSurf);
hr = gD3D9Device->Clear(NULL, NULL, CLEAR_FLAGS, 0x00FFFFFF, 1.0f, 0);
DrawDepth();

//and then later you set gDSTex as texture in shader and sample from it

and some docs to read.
Depth buffer readback as a texture isn't natively supported by D3D9. You can do it with vendor-specific "extensions". See this for ATI and this for Nvidia.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement