Could I make it as an algorithm programmer? Would you hire me?

Started by
11 comments, last by Aardvajk 13 years, 3 months ago
@Tom Sloper:
1. I don't know. I was just wondering about it. Maybe some hiring person hired somebody from here based on his "performance". Not really the Help Wanted stuff...
2. I don't plan anything *sigh*. But I KNOW a person for example who helped some guys getting a job. A helped guys was immediately put in an interview (Skype), made a test, passed it, and got the job. No one cared about his papers. The helper guy literally f*cked himself that job. He had an interview directly, and got the job.

I don't know LINUX, and I've just started working in my home country, I'm just back from the target country, that's why I don't try it myself right away.

And maybe the fact, that I have a M.Sc degree, I work as a mechanical engineer in full time (until maybe 2012, when I "plan" to think about changing my career), design machines, build machines, design products, have a full project in my hands which I am fully responsible of, will counterweight the fact that I haven't been to an IT "course". So that the typical "you learn discipline, to work in a team, to finish projects, to do unpleasant stuff, to take responsibility" arguments simply don't apply. I just lack the deep knowledge of computer sciences. And I'm not talking about kernel/driver programming.

And yes, I have finished games (well, the hard part of getting them work on every machines are still missing). But again, I'm talking about Spring 2012.

Maybe the rating points should be displayed so that you can see I'm not just another newbie with the same questions. And so you would actually read my posts.
Advertisement
Maybe the rating points should be displayed so that you can see I'm not just another newbie with the same questions. And so you would actually read my posts.
Most people stick within a small subset of the entire forum. If you frequently post in one area that I don't frequent, I won't know your stories

.You should include the relevant information in your posts.

In this case you said "not going to study again ... working as a machine designer/constructor ... I can code to some extent ... and I wonder if my skills ... can get me something if I bypass the résumé stuff (by knowing someone in a company that gets me in an interview directly)."

Based on that alone it says you are unwilling to learn or perhaps unwilling to follow the customary steps, are working in the wrong industry, are not much of a programmer, and you want to skip the normal process.

Many people want to skip the normal process because they are unable to do the job. I don't understand the thinking since they will quickly be exposed as frauds and fired, but I guess they hope that they can just fake it. Or maybe their skills are so awful that their self-estimate is extremely inflated; they may believe themselves to be so awesome that actual work is beneath them. Whatever it is, the malady is rather common.

Programmers do more than "code to some extent". That is their job. It is the main thing they do. Imagine if an artist said they can draw to some extent and make passable pictures. Or an animator who said they can animate to some extent and have played around with Blender3D. Would you have confidence in their abilities?

If you are a programmer you should have evidence that you can do more than "code to some extent". In fact, you need to present to them such compelling evidence that you are an amazing talent that they can overlook that your training and experience are in different fields. You do that by saying "I have written such-and-such using these tools. Here's awards and praises it won. Here's a link."

And do you think "finishing" the paper modeller program would be enough (for um... something)?

Should be. I got an interview for an ActionScript programmer role once purely off the basis of my current game and its level editor. I was set some tasks to do in my own time in AS which I did not, in the end, have the time to commit to but had I been prepared to invest a bit more time, there was definitely an offer on the table.

(I also have no degree or professional IT experience at all BTW).

I was looking at your paper model project the other day - it looks very impressive and demonstrates a lot of ability in my view.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement