Something for Everyone?

Started by
21 comments, last by BaltazarDZ 12 years, 11 months ago
It would be a compilation of several games together. And I personally think it wouldn't be something for everyone.
[/quote]

I understand what you mean there as many games are starting to try and do this and failing. I am a great fan of science fiction though and really interested in how a lot of things which are predicted in books usually come to fruition. (<did i spell that right lol) A recurring theme is always how life becomes more and more emulated in viirtual reality and I think one day you will go into a gaming environment in order to actually code and distribute your game and it will be played in that world. Complicated yes? But did we think 15 years ago that the internet would be what it now is? ;)
Advertisement
Don't forget the technical side. Imagine a pair of maxed 200 supply armies duking it out. But you've got an FPS player in there, so now imagine instead of units taking damage as fast as the AI can decide which one to shoot, you have to raycast for a bullet against the hitboxes of those 400 units. The computational requirements grow pretty fast. If the level above the FPS was a turn based strategy, you might be able to pull that off.
@Equality: If we ignore the time factor then technical side doesn't really matter when discussing a concept. Because sooner or later the technologies will be able to handle it. If this idea would be tried to implemented right now then... I don't know. I'm not experienced enough to evaluate whether or not it would be possible from the technical side.

@Spacer: I see your point. Personally I'm pretty sure that when after 20 years I'll take a look in the past I'll be amazed how different things and possibilities have become. However I'm more pointing to a different factor here. Human. And as closer we get to simulating reality in games the more I remember the quote "Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else." People don't look for reality in games. They want to feel that exactly because of their effort something has changed, that they have achieved something. And frequently reality doesn't offer strong enough stimulus to satisfy this desire.

To be clear I'm not talking about games in general. I'm talking about computer games oriented to planting player within a world where he expects to have both a role and freedom.

PS. Fruition it is. When in doubt consult to Google :) (English isn't my native language)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement