So how does this sound?

Started by
1 comment, last by LilBudyWizer 13 years, 1 month ago
My friend wants to build his own gaming PC, so I'm looking for opinions to advise him. Trying to keep it around this price range for these components...

Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333
Graphics: VisionTek 900301 Radeon HD 5750
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR-800P TR2 BRONZE 800W

Thank for anything you can tell me!
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Advertisement
Looks fine. Since he's getting the Black Edition it would be worthwhile to invest in a good cooler. Check www.tomshardware.com for thorough benchmarks on things like that, as well as nearly every component you can find in your PC, and special articles like "Best Gaming CPU for the Money" and "Best Video card for the Money" which are updated every few months (I think the most recent was Feb 2011).

Personally, before you build you should look at places like CyberPower PC's. They have a lot of options and low prices. Not to make a plug for them, but when it comes to building it's hard to make a case for it. You have too much CPU for the GPU for gaming. That power supply is overkill. You're also going to need a case, drives and perhaps a cooler. As far as a cooler you're going to need to run folding at home or something to peg the CPU and see if you stay in an adequate temp range. You're going to have to stress the system to make sure nothing fails right out the door. You may have to deal with DOA parts and parts that fail under warranty. If you want to keep your buddy then you have to deal with the problems. You really need to have a compelling reason to build and saving money isn't likely counter productive.

Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement