I've built a world generator, what now?

Started by
14 comments, last by Wavinator 13 years, 2 months ago

Unfortunately it sounds like you’ve put the cart before horse. You’ve built an impressive sounding world generator but the problem but don’t have a game to fit it into, rather then designing a game and building a world generator to fit your needs.

So you’ve got a choice now you can either start from scratch a design a game and then use experience in world generation to build a world generator for that game. Or you can try a shoe horn in some game play mechanics on top of your world generator. Which ever way you go you’ve got still got a lot for ahead of you.
I second this. Trying to make a game that would fit your generator would limit you too much. For example, what if in the middle you notice that the game would be better if you use premade maps instead? Would you scrap the core feature? Or would you carry on and make a poor game?

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement
Those would be awesome maps for a Web Empire building game, probably tick based.

Make water "always neutral", and focus a vast majority of it on land combat(water method of transport so you don't "need" to involve neutral parties).
How about this:
Make the world generator create tiny islands instead.
Have a game where the main character gets washed ashore one of these islands. He/She than has to gather materials and build a hut, and further things (gather food, etc).
Eventually the character can make a boat and sail to the next island, to do further exploration, keep trying to find a way home.
Lets say it's possible to win by finding resources from few islands (randomly scattered for re-playability) to make a ship strong-enough to cross ocean, or maybe some-kind of a signaling device to find help.

This isn't exactly what your world sounds like, but that's the game I'd play :)

Your world to me sounds a lot like civilization, which I'm already playing.

http://www.mildspring.com - developing android games

How about this:
Make the world generator create tiny islands instead.
Have a game where the main character gets washed ashore one of these islands. He/She than has to gather materials and build a hut, and further things (gather food, etc).
Eventually the character can make a boat and sail to the next island, to do further exploration, keep trying to find a way home.
Lets say it's possible to win by finding resources from few islands (randomly scattered for re-playability) to make a ship strong-enough to cross ocean, or maybe some-kind of a signaling device to find help.

This isn't exactly what your world sounds like, but that's the game I'd play :)

Your world to me sounds a lot like civilization, which I'm already playing.

This last post sounds a lot like The Sims Castaway for PS2.

A map generated with this would certainly be useful for a strategy game since you included strategic resources.
You can also make an RPG or something similar, you make the "overmap" wich is this one first, and as the player enter the tiles they are generated. I think this is the way Spore galaxy was generated. The galaxy was the best part of that game, too bad it was targeted at the wrong audience.
I don't play MMOs because I would become addicted
cool work, it's like Fractal Terrains
---------------------------------
FAR Colony http://farcolony.blogspot.com/
Cool. I understand the delimma as I sort of got myself into the same problem of generating bottom up and then scratching my head at how to make gameplay of the result.

A couple of ideas that might work well with a random map:

Scavenger hunt:
* You have to travel to different points and gather clues
* Clues are partly drawn from the procedural data on the map (an east-west river near three mountains is noted, for instance)
* Player is scored by how fast they can find the target

Survival
* Terrain yeilds resources needed for survival
* Fighting enemies costs resources
* Player is scored on how long they can survive

Rogue-like: Check out a game called Prospector, a space-based rogue-like which uses random planets. It mixes the two ideas above to good effect.

--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement