Good sources to learn Design Patterns

Started by
2 comments, last by Danny02 13 years, 1 month ago
Hello

I would like to set myself a goal to introduce myself to a new design pattern every week. Because I work at an internship right now, its hard to get me to do this because I always feel guilty that I should be doing work stuff & not learning a pattern.

Do you know of any good sources, preferably website tutorials/demonstations but also books, that cover both Design Patters & Application Architecture/Patterns. Do you know of any good sources that are not just blocks of text (which is not the best way I learn), I prefer to follow tutorials or see graphical demonstrations of the pattern?

I have googled for good sources but they seem to either only cover some design patterns or are huge blocks of text to read.
Advertisement
That depends on how much experience you have with program design.

Since you say you're at an internship, I'll guess you've got some but not a lot. I like the original design patterns book, but in retrospect it requires a bit of experience before some of the concepts/descriptions become apparent. In general, tutorials and to a lesser degree books will only get you so far. You might be able to understand the concept of the pattern, but don't get a good feel for why (and where) it's good (and bad) without using them in a non-trivial application.
I second the suggestion for the Design Pattern's book. It is basically the defacto standard

http://www.amazon.com/Design-Patterns-Elements-Reusable-Object-Oriented/dp/0201633612/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299305641&sr=8-1
I really liked "Head first desgin patterns" it was very entertainig to read.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement