Null pointer access (revision 824, PS3)

Started by
14 comments, last by WitchLord 12 years, 11 months ago
Hello,

Before I updated to revision 824 (I was at 781 before) it was working and now it does not anymore, I guess it is because of the changes in as_callfunc_ppc_64.cpp which is used on PS3.

Level.fluidBarycenterSmooth = 0.5f;

and Level is defined as :

engine->RegisterGlobalFunction("LevelType& get_Level()", asFUNCTION(Level::instance), asCALL_CDECL);

Now this triggers a null pointer access exception each time Level is accessed.

Remi Gillig.
Advertisement
I personally implement Level (in my case, "Stage") functions as global functions rather than directly through an instance. Have C functions wrap the Level::instance()->Foo() stuff and just expose them globally.

I know, I am just so helpful aren't I?:rolleyes:
It's been around 8 months that everything worked very well, I just updated to the latest revision and it crashes now. I hope it is because of the recent changes in as_callfunc_*.cpp.

It's been around 8 months that everything worked very well, I just updated to the latest revision and it crashes now. I hope it is because of the recent changes in as_callfunc_*.cpp.

Yes, i confirm, program works not properly. But after change back 'emms' to 'fninit' all works fine.
I knew the changes in as_callfunc had a high risk of breaking something. Unfortunately I had to take this risk in orde to make important improvements towards memory consumption and performance.

I'll need help in fixing these problems though, because I do not have a platform to test the ppc_64.cpp code. Can you help me find the error?

The change from fninit to emms was done because I got a bug report on the code breaking with fninit. Now I'm lost, which should really be used?

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

I said about as_callfunc_x86.cpp and revision 822.
I know. That's the only place fninit was used, still I don't understand why you need it to be fninit, and the other developer need it to be emms. Nor do I have any idea as to how I'm go to solve it for both of you.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

The changes that must have broken the PS3 code is from revision 795.

diff for this version

I'm not quite sure yet, what the error is.

I know. That's the only place fninit was used, still I don't understand why you need it to be fninit, and the other developer need it to be emms. Nor do I have any idea as to how I'm go to solve it for both of you.

Don't bother about me, i change it myself, but you keep it mind for future.

About bug - don't know what happens, but program works not correct - many fails in places where it not can be, also this fails not in AS related code. Than i rebuild with 'emms'->'fninit' and program works without fails.

Also sorry that i wrote off-topic, missed that topic of the PS3.

Hello,

Before I updated to revision 824 (I was at 781 before) it was working and now it does not anymore, I guess it is because of the changes in as_callfunc_ppc_64.cpp which is used on PS3.

Level.fluidBarycenterSmooth = 0.5f;

and Level is defined as :

engine->RegisterGlobalFunction("LevelType& get_Level()", asFUNCTION(Level::instance), asCALL_CDECL);

Now this triggers a null pointer access exception each time Level is accessed.

Remi Gillig.

I reviewed the as_callfunc_ppc_64.cpp code, and for this very simple function I didn't see anything wrong. Maybe the problem is with property accessors, instead. Can you give the following code a try, just to see if it passes:

get_Level().fluidBarycenterSmooth = 0.5f;

That is, call the property accessor explicitly as a normal function. If the problem is with the property accessors rather than the native calling, then the scripts should be able to call the functions directly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement