ideas for expert system

Started by
8 comments, last by blewisjr 13 years, 1 month ago
In my Computer Science course I am to develop an expert system. Whenever I can I try to make my projects game related in the hopes of building a portfolio. I do not intend to use the project in the portfolio, but hopefully it will provide a starting point for another project. Regardless, I would very much appreciate ideas on feasible (able to be completed in 3 - 4 weeks) applications for an expert system.
On a side note, evidently the Plus membership over at AIGameDev.com does not allow you to read or write on the forums. Thanks in advance for polite, constructive suggestions!

Update: I believe I probably should have posted this in the Beginner's section, as I am a noob. Unless someone can tell me how to move this post over to that section without double posting, it's here unfortunately :(
Advertisement
On a side note, evidently the Plus membership over at AIGameDev.com does not allow you to read or write on the forums.

Seems like it's a bug, I'm looking into it. Sorry for the trouble.

You should be able to read and write with a simple introduction, whether or not you're PLUS...

Alex

Join us in Vienna for the nucl.ai Conference 2015, on July 20-22... Don't miss it!

In my Computer Science course I am to develop an expert system. Whenever I can I try to make my projects game related in the hopes of building a portfolio. I do not intend to use the project in the portfolio, but hopefully it will provide a starting point for another project. Regardless, I would very much appreciate ideas on feasible (able to be completed in 3 - 4 weeks) applications for an expert system.
On a side note, evidently the Plus membership over at AIGameDev.com does not allow you to read or write on the forums. Thanks in advance for polite, constructive suggestions!

Update: I believe I probably should have posted this in the Beginner's section, as I am a noob. Unless someone can tell me how to move this post over to that section without double posting, it's here unfortunately :(

Sent a report in for a move. My advice to take expert systems to the game world would have to be naturally adapting AI. Expert Systems in Real Time applications need to evolve to constantly changing data over time. So if I understand it properly an AI that makes decisions based off of how the player plays would classify as an expert system because it needs to evolve as the player evolves to keep a consistent challenge. The goal however for it to be an expert system means the AI can't cheat it needs to actually adapt its decisions to what the player is doing to scale the difficulty not just making it do more damage or have more health but tactical decisions. This would be a great system in say a simple 2D RTS game where the AI can actually make tactical decisions.
Moved to For Beginners.
Well, I'm not too sure what you mean by "expert", but... I recommend making a text-based game where you type messages as if you were talking to someone, and it returns with a whitty or sarcastic comment.

I would get a kick out of it; at least, and I suppose that's one aspect of AI programming, right? (this isn't really my field of expertise...)

[quote name='WaywardSquanderer' timestamp='1301083324' post='4790470']On a side note, evidently the Plus membership over at AIGameDev.com does not allow you to read or write on the forums.

Seems like it's a bug, I'm looking into it. Sorry for the trouble.

You should be able to read and write with a simple introduction, whether or not you're PLUS...

Alex

[/quote]

I feel the need to clarify my statement about AIGameDev.com; I just wanted to head off any suggestions for me to post on that site (as I'd already attempted) and I'm afraid my words, from a business standpoint, may have come across as a slam on the service of the site. This definitely was not my intention. Alex took care of the bug and I am now enjoying the forums very much! If you haven't checked it out yet, and you're reading this, then you definitely have to.

Well, I'm not too sure what you mean by "expert", but... I recommend making a text-based game where you type messages as if you were talking to someone, and it returns with a whitty or sarcastic comment.

I would get a kick out of it; at least, and I suppose that's one aspect of AI programming, right? (this isn't really my field of expertise...)

Its funny you mention that. Bruce Wilcox from TellTale Games used an expert system for his Loebner Prize winning 'chatbot' (used for lack of a better term). From what I understand it is to be used in one form or another in their adventure games for dialog features.

[quote name='WaywardSquanderer' timestamp='1301083324' post='4790470']

Sent a report in for a move. My advice to take expert systems to the game world would have to be naturally adapting AI. Expert Systems in Real Time applications need to evolve to constantly changing data over time. So if I understand it properly an AI that makes decisions based off of how the player plays would classify as an expert system because it needs to evolve as the player evolves to keep a consistent challenge. The goal however for it to be an expert system means the AI can't cheat it needs to actually adapt its decisions to what the player is doing to scale the difficulty not just making it do more damage or have more health but tactical decisions. This would be a great system in say a simple 2D RTS game where the AI can actually make tactical decisions.
[/quote]

Thanks for sending in the report and the suggestion. You've got me thinking about creating an expert system for the board game Diplomacy. I've heard some compare it to Risk. I think the compelling aspect would be in entering alliances (which is a main feature of the game); the expert system could take into account the player's propensity and motivation to 'backstab' in such situations. I have no idea what I'm doing but it already sounds fun!

[quote name='nfries88' timestamp='1301102486' post='4790549']

Its funny you mention that. Bruce Wilcox from TellTale Games used an expert system for his Loebner Prize winning 'chatbot' (used for lack of a better term). From what I understand it is to be used in one form or another in their adventure games for dialog features.
[/quote]

Well, there ya go! :P

But if you explained what an expert system is, maybe I could think of something better.

[quote name='WaywardSquanderer' timestamp='1301106874' post='4790564']
[quote name='nfries88' timestamp='1301102486' post='4790549']

[/quote]

Well, there ya go! :P

But if you explained what an expert system is, maybe I could think of something better.
[/quote]

An expert system is a piece of software usually AI related that makes decisions based off of what a "expert" would do in that situation removing the need for a human expert to make the decision. Do a google search on expert systems there is a great wikipedia article on its many many many uses. Surprisingly expert systems are quite common in video games for AI. There is an example in the wikipedia that explains how they use expert systems in MLB video games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement