Hints for my new engine (v3)

Started by
5 comments, last by Geri 12 years, 11 months ago
When i made my graphics engine in 2006, wich i updated since that many and many times to fit the requiretments (however, i always keeped it around 5 year lag with the newest technologies for security reasons) i suspected that i will be able to use it for 6-7 year.

This was a correct suspection from me. My engine was around middle class for a lot of times, and if it begined to fall down to low class, i just added some features to compensate it. My hint was i can do this for 6 year without punishment. This is correct, but now my code reached the level wich is not any more maintainable, i must rewrite it.

However, my current engine will be in use for more, i will not replace it with a new technologoy, its unnecessary.

Of course, i will not to delete everything from the code, there is a lot of code wich will usable in the next version also, but i must thow out its structure, the operating principle, i will change verything at the roots.

Also my new engine must be compatible with my old engine, at function level, for example, my Maker3D should work with the new also. I thing i will write a wrapper interface to keep this.

So now i want to share my plans, the new structure of the engine, and i wait ideas, hints, what you ppls tough about my plan.

If you know some new technology (for example, a new, good looking effect) or you invented something but you cant use it for even, and you suggest and let me to implement it, please share it. It does not matter if its just exist as a never investigated and never implemented data sheet, or just an idea, or you just saw it somewhere, please share it
if you think it is good.

TEXTURE HANDLING:
-------------------------------
My new texture handler will use a new texturing track, what can take the textures to bounch and only load them when its necessary, in buckets, so it can process a lot of it with multithread. Or if the handler gets a flush. My engine alreday had unifyed texture handling, but it was uneffective and slow. The new code will even has the ability to dynamically delete the textures from the RAM, and load them again, if they needed.

MODELL HANDLING:
-------------------------------
Modell handling will be similar to texture handler. But i must redesign this fully to be correspondance with my new structure.

MEMORY HANDLING:
-----------------------------
This was complitely broken in my current engine. I will fix it, there is nothing to say about this. The old code was even optimised with Voodoo3.

KILLING GLOBALS:
----------------------------
There was too much global stuff, so i now will collect everything in monolithic global blocks, i building the levels and the blocks logically:
-main.c (includes)
-lgfx_thread_API.c (my multithreading codes)
-sallang_API.c (everything who does not fit to another place: memcpy_dualcpu, lgfx_atof...)
-filehandle_API.c (crossplatform fopen_lgfx, etc)
-Iinit_API.c (platform init, may 60-70 kbyte)
-Periferia_API.c (keyboard, mouse, joy, ~20 kbyte)
-modell.c (no specific calls, only the loaders, ~100 kbyte)
-fizika.c (phisics, collision, 30 kbyte)
-kamera.c (my existing camera codes being copyed there after a bit rework)
-grafika_API.c (deprecated and reworked version of my current graphics engine OR my new engine wich i will
speak later, ~400 kbyte, textures and models also being stored here)
-textura.c (textre loading, managing, decoding, ~70 kbyte)
-sprite.c (my new spritehandler will go here, 10 kbyte)
-audcodec.c (~ 10 kbyte)
-hang_hw.c (my current sound engine comes here, ~10 kbyte)
-engine.c (the passice engine structure and engine core, engine coordination, ground, anim handling, etc, ~300 kbyte)
-engine_effekt.c (some predefinied cpu time leet effects, ~100 kbyte)
-engine_compatibility.c (for compatibility wrapping my old engine, BASIC interpreter, ~300 kbyte)
-menu.c (my current code of opening screens, settings, loading screens, menu handlers, ~20 kbyte)
-game.c (the game, or a wrapper that inits the stuffs to my old engine)

SPRITE HANDLING:
-------------------------------------
Some parts stays as old, but i will rewrite a lot of extras in it. Snitts, flows... much more passive.

GRAPHICS:
-----------------
-I will keep my current OpenGL based graphics engine for compatibility purposes.

-My new graphics engine is a multi-cpu ray tracer. I want ideas for this. Texhnologies, effects, ideas, how to speed it up even more. I want to use this engine from ~2014 (if the world begin destroyed in 2012, not). I would be very happy to see your favorit effects related to this.

SOUND HANDLING:
----------------------------
Maybee i should write realtime environmental audio handling based on the ray tracer, for example, real time calculated environment effect if the voice comes out from the bathroom. Maybee i should write 3d audio positioning. I have never doned such things before, i got no experience, so i will use temporally my current sound code. Suggestions?

PHISICS:
--------------
This was shit until now also, but i cant made anything with it. I will write some new stuffs to it, for example, falling dow item wich brokes, etc.

OTHERS:
---------------
I wait for ideas, for everything, except for:
-What compilers, languages, ideologies, platforms should i use.
I dont care about your fetishes and about your virtual lovers.

I WOULD LIKE THE FOLOWING BENEFITS FROM THE NEW ENGINE COMPARED TO THE OLD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will introduce this engine only after my old engine fully become obsolete. These engines are for my personal use
to create my softwares in them, so i want not blow up all of my rockets for the first shoots.
-Possibility to write brutal graphics (this also will need modellers, however)
-Simplyer maintaince, modular built-up
-Faster, easyer develop.
-Much smaller memory demand
-Better automatic caching and loading
-Compatiblity with my current stuffs at function(); level
-Better gaming experience
-Simply to create support for new platforms later (who knows what will be is after 5-6 year)
-Independent from everything

Thank you!
Advertisement
Can you list even one game, what has been made with your engine, and available for download (free or not that doesn't matter)?

If not, just make a simple game (even a tetris would do), and you will realize what do game developers want from a game engine.

shaken, not stirred

Um, just a little note: those files should have English names not Hungarian.
The one thing that you don't mention is how content is created, and how this content is delivered to the engine's runtime. There's no planned workflow or asset pipeline. These parts of the engine are just as important as the runtime itself.

Do you have an existing tool-chain that you'll be reusing?
sirpalee user_popup.png
szecs user_popup.png
The engine (its a base engine) itself would not be public, the previous releases was also not public. So it does not matters how i call the stuffs, or how other peoples would enjoy coding it. The things i build on this engine are the important (for example, Maker3D), not the engine itself. It must satisfy only my needs, and of course, deliver technologies that gamers and end-users would enjoy.

Hodgman user_popup.png
I dont plan to change that parts of the engine (hint: check Maker3D)
However, i decided not to create new graphics engine. I will upgrade my current code instead of it.
I alreday started, for example, i coded texture cacher (automatic free-up from the memory), resizeable windowing, modifyed sprite engine... recoding every thing would take too much time (years). And i started to remove deprecated codes also.

I would like to hear ideas instead. Anyway, thank for the replyes.
The level editor, the scripting and the asset pipeline is part of any game engine. (and maker3d is basically with your engine, without a native API and with some limitations - so the API design, the scripting is important for your users)

And don't write anything yourself, there are a lot of already great opensource / multiplatform tools, that are heavily tested and used in many application. For example you can use OpenImageIO for texture caching / loading in the system ram (you can specify the amount of memory it uses etc... and pretty fast too!), or instead of using your own "shader language", Open Shading Language is there for your raytracer (since I guess it's cpu only, or with some modifications even for the GPU).

Is there any game in development with Maker3D?

shaken, not stirred

[color="#000080"][size="1"]is part of any game engine
Yes it is, but i currently want ideas mostly for the graphics engine, and technologies depthly inside the code. Maker3D relies on this also, but Maker's editor or script language / etc does not affects this. I am not needing any suggestions related on this at the moment. So i am currently only curious about the things i have mentioned.

[color="#000080"][size="1"]there are a lot of already great opensource
I not writing everything myself ofc. I using some existing format loaders when necessary. But i dont think i would let any third party code in the rendering core, even if it is opensource or public domain, even if its mutch faster. If a bug appears in it, fixing would be very painfull, maybee also would strict me away from some later platforms, or would decrase the scalability or the flexibility of my code.

[size="1"] [color="#000080"]Is there any game in development with Maker3D?
I have no such informations.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement