College or Full Sail?

Started by
15 comments, last by scout113 12 years, 10 months ago
A brick and mortar school is going to beat an online education, hands down. There are many fantastic universities in North America and Europe that are cheaper than $25k-$30k per semester. My alma mater, Purdue (a top ranked university in engineering and management), is less than $40k for out of state students for both fall and spring semesters, including room & board, bus pass, books, etc. University of Illinois (which is in the top 5 in the US for Computer Engineering) is about the same cost.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Advertisement

A brick and mortar school is going to beat an online education, hands down. There are many fantastic universities in North America and Europe that are cheaper than $25k-$30k per semester. My alma mater, Purdue (a top ranked university in engineering and management), is less than $40k for out of state students for both fall and spring semesters, including room & board, bus pass, books, etc. University of Illinois (which is in the top 5 in the US for Computer Engineering) is about the same cost.

Very interesting. Europe is still cheaper, but i heard a lot of great things about UI. I will still check if i can go there with a scholarship or something because to my knowledge financial aid doesn't apply to foreigners, right???

C) i live in the Middle East, so you can just forget the state schools or community colleges because they are BEYOND bad. i will have better chances at getting a good degree in mars.

Which school do you go to? There should be plenty of scholarships available for you, and good state schools in the US are cheaper than full sail with great education quality even if you aren't a resident of the state.

I would definitely recommend going somewhere cheap (be it a US state school or a european one) and using the extra money you save to go to networking/career development events like GDC/gamescon/whatever else you can do.
Saw that there were some questions being asked about Fullsail vs. College.

What is the general opinion of Fullsail? Anybody who has attended care to share their experience? I'm thinking about going there after I get out of the Army.
"No man ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."
-General George S. Patton
Moving to Europe might be worth it in its own right, but moving there simply to attend a cheap school seems like folly. You can find cheap schools here, you just haven't looked hard enough.

Pick a state at random. Let's just say, for example, that you live in Iowa. I go to Iowa State University and look up tuition. For 2011-2012 it's $7,486.

Pick another state at random. Let's say you live in Florida. I go to Florida State University and look up tuition. $5,237.

It's not cheap to live in Europe. And if you are somewhere that is cheap, you might get what you pay for. I don't know if a degree from the University of Croatia is going to help you very much when you're applying for jobs.

Saw that there were some questions being asked about Fullsail vs. College.
What is the general opinion of Fullsail?

You should Scout around, read the FAQs, read the older threads in which others have asked about for-profit schools.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

<br />[quote name='scout113' timestamp='1308508593' post='4825179']<br />Saw that there were some questions being asked about Fullsail vs. College. <br />What is the general opinion of Fullsail?
<br />You should Scout around, read the FAQs, read the older threads in which others have asked about for-profit schools.<br />[/quote]

Heh, you've got to be tired of mentioning the FAQs by now huh? I've read them, and thanks, there was a lot of good information in them.

The real question I guess "Is Full Sail a quality school, and is the learning experience worth going?". And not just Full Sail, but Digipen and other game focused schools. Are the people that attended them happy with their decision?

Game design is more like my dream job, as I feel I would be equally happy and successful at regular 3D design. I'm learning Maya on my own and think that the classroom experience, as well as the interaction with others who have the same desires, would be a good learning experience. That and the fact that you walk away from Full Sail with something to put in a portfolio is a plus.

It seems like most people have some sort of bias against Full Sail, but I don't seem a large number of responses from people that have actually gone there. The few I did see seemed to enjoy their experience.
"No man ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."
-General George S. Patton

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement