So let's talk weapons...

Started by
27 comments, last by crusher23 12 years, 8 months ago
Coin-Filled Sock:
An impromptu bludgeoning weapon which does more damage as the user gets wealthier

WoW Armour:
A suit of armour with preposterously large blades sticking out of the pauldrons. The wearer attacks by shoulder barging or swinging his shoulders to slash or stab the enemy with the blades. The disadvantage is that the wearer loses the ability to use regular sized doors.

I was always a fan of the gunlance from monster hunter.

I've noticed (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) a trope which seems to be particularly prevalent in anime and anime styled games where stylised weapons consist of some, often quite bizarre combination of object + weapon, e.g keyblade, circle sword etc. I'm almost tempted to develop a random Anime weapon generator.

Hatstandspear
Pogostickhammer
Golfclubcannon
Fishtanksword

Of course, the weapon would also have to be at least twenty times more massive than any human could realistically wield.
Advertisement
Wow I'd forgotten about this thread. Can't believe it survived so long. Ilu guys.

Suggestions so far have been exactly the right side of insane.

--

Weapons in turn based RPGs are pretty much different only in how much damage they do. They RARELY behave differently/interestingly.

^ Also, to this there is also to be considered that weapons may do more damage depending on circumstances. For example, some could use the enemy's defence against them. Others can damage multiple enemies. Basically what I'm saying is that some games force you to think about who you attack with what. That's what I'd always try to aim for.

EDIT:
I demand that the Fishtank sword become the staple weapon for RPG hero characters.
Panicbox; not to say that this thread is not awesome -particularly fishtanksword- but it occurs to me that what disgaea, and most 'rpgs' I would say, does in its abstraction of combat is attempt to give you a limited number of categories of weapons that reasonably cover the gamut of combat styles. of course, the word 'attempt' is very important there. What I'm getting at is that when you design a game that will have a practically infinite number of configurations of character, instead of designing individuals you end up designing -dare I say it- classes of individuals. These break down not only along the lines of literal classes as defined by the game, but also along the lines of types of objects equipped and so on. So what I'm saying is, fishtanksword is still a sword, even if it has fancy graphics, because that's all it could be in the designer's limited model of reality.
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
If you're interested, here's a YouTube video with roughly 100 weapons:

Video game weapons
Why not just a normal and simple guns?

Well, it's a general title that can range from fast-fire machine guns (DPS) to close fire shotguns (Damage Dealers).

Spell Swords, Spell Books (Castlevania style), maces, and crossbows.
I sometimes wish our heroes were better equipped with weapons:

Neurotoxin: Wearing a gas mask with this, will end most fights against things that breath.
Rechargeable EMP: Solve robots
Armored Personnel Carrier: For Zombies.
AK. Buckets of ammo.

Also:
Proper armored, bite-proof hazmat: For everything.

Some of my favorite weapons because of there amazing implementation, and the fact that each of them would be superior to Little Birds catapult as a stand alone game, and in no particular order;

DC Final - AK47 (best FPS gun implementation)
DC Final - RPG
BF2 - Grenade Launcher
BF2 - C4
Operation Flash point - Satchel Charge
Arma 2 - Javelin
Stalker - Abakan
SWAT4 - Paintball gun
SWAT4 - Beanbag Shotgun
COD MW - Flash bang
COD MW - Stun grenade
COD MW - throwing knife (with Dark Messiah Animations)
TFC - Conc grenade
TFC - Caltrops
TFC - "AIDS" dispensor
TF2 - Force-a-nature
TF2 - Sandman
TF2 - De-greaser
TF2- Chargin'Targe
TF2 - Scottish Resistance
TF2 - Huntsman
HL2 - Crossbow
HL2 - Gravity Gun
L4D2 - Molotov
L4D2- Pipe bomb
L4D2 - Chainsaw
L4D2 - and All ballistic weapons tuned perfectly for the setting
Hitman - Fiber wire
Fallout 3 - Power Fist
Fallout 3 - Rock-it-launcher
Fallout 3 - Fatman
Fallout 3 - Frag grenade / your underpants
New Vegas - Euclids Cfinder
Batman AA - Baterang
Batman AA - Line Launcher
Super Mario - Mario's soles
Mount and blade - Couched Lance
Mount and blade - Braced Pike
Mount and blade - throwing Axe/Spear
Mount and blade - shields (not used offensively, but equipped and facilitate 1h weapon usage and arrow/ bolt implementation)
Medieval 2 - Naphtha grenades
Stainless steel 6.4 - Greek Firethrower
Stronghold - Boiling oil "eeeeew this things hott"
Age of empires 2 - Petards
Dark Messiah - Rope bow
Dark Messiah - Ice arrow/spell
Dark Messiah - arrow lit on flame
Dark Messiah - lightning spell
Dark Messiah - telekinesis spell
Dark Messiah - Kick
Dark Messiah - Twin daggers - ALL and back-stabs
Dark Messiah - Staves - ALL
Dark Messiah - Swords - ALL
Dark Messiah - Adrenaline - builds during fights used for a special ability on all weapons and spells, allows PC to overcome odds that seam in surmountable....
Star wars galaxies - AOE poisen / disease canistors
Star wars galaxies - Launcher pistol
Star wars galaxies - Flame thrower
Star wars galaxies - Powerhammer/stun baton, not for the weapons themselves but to represent different damage types (blast/stun )to allow you to be more effective vs structures or players - variety and choice for PC
Star wars galaxies - Unarmed Hit3 - I learnt to do this IRL LOL (also all original animations (and textures) are beautiful in this game especially for an mmo today)
RL weapons i wanna see - Delisle Carbine, Keltec RFB

The most rewarding weapons to use are trajectory based ones, as we are evolved to do that. However, mastery of the enviroment in Dark Messiah and in other games to a lesser extent is the best "weapon" ever, in terms of rewarding game play.

Also above i have only listed handheld weapons, but utilizing; mounts, vehicles, stationary weapons, area denial weapons and bots are also too important to leave out of a game imo.
A machine gun that shoots machine guns that each shoot dogs with bees in their mouths so when they bark in panic from being shot out of the machine gun they shoot bees everywhere.
zweinhander - (massive sword)
Dual Tonfas -(the clubs american police use)
Tanto -(ninja short Sword)
kusarigama -(Scythe and chain)
Giant Shurikan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement