Confused about C++

Started by
16 comments, last by Aardvajk 12 years, 11 months ago

The books says that everything in the book is command line based.

what i think it means and from what i know is this(from Visual Studio experiance):
and IDE like Visual Studio which stromchin so kindly mentioned and Dev-C++ are a way of Graphically editing it (as opposed to writeing code in a standard text editor) (and i vouch for Visual Studio as it is very good in my opinion)

but it is still compiled through the 'Command Line', IE VS can do error checking, Syntax and so on but it uses the 'Command Line' to tell MSBUILD to compile your app with all relevent data and such (i may be a bit off here but as far as i know this is correct) and then VS attaches its debugger to your exe.
does that help ?

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Advertisement

[quote name='JimmyFett' timestamp='1306016723' post='4813990']
The books says that everything in the book is command line based.

what i think it means and from what i know is this(from Visual Studio experiance):
and IDE like Visual Studio which stromchin so kindly mentioned and Dev-C++ are a way of Graphically editing it (as opposed to writeing code in a standard text editor) (and i vouch for Visual Studio as it is very good in my opinion)

but it is still compiled through the 'Command Line', IE VS can do error checking, Syntax and so on but it uses the 'Command Line' to tell MSBUILD to compile your app with all relevent data and such (i may be a bit off here but as far as i know this is correct) and then VS attaches its debugger to your exe.
does that help ?
[/quote]

It does help, I'm going to try to get myself a copy of Visual Studio soon to start playing around with.

It does help, I'm going to try to get myself a copy of Visual Studio soon to start playing around with.

You should really do that. Dev C++ is unsupported since ~4-5 years.

Visit my blog, follow me on twitter or check out my bitbucket repositories.

[quote name='JimmyFett' timestamp='1306149940' post='4814539']

You should really do that. Dev C++ is unsupported since ~4-5 years.
[/quote]

yes, but there is a new one called wxDev-C++ (i think)
just wanted to point that out :)

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

If you're a student look into the dreamspark program by microsoft, you might be able to get VS2010 for free.

www.dreamspark.com

yes, but there is a new one called wxDev-C++ (i think)
just wanted to point that out :)

Oh cool. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
Well anyway...Since I'm working with VS 2010 I'm perfectly happy ;)

Visit my blog, follow me on twitter or check out my bitbucket repositories.

For more information on why not to use Dev-C++, check out http://www.jasonbadams.net/20081218/why-you-shouldnt-use-dev-c/

I would also highly recommend using Visual Studio 2010 Express
If you are going down the Visual Studio Express route for Windows programming, I'd highly also recommend the free ResEdit which you can integrate into VS quite nicely.

I'm jumping ahead a bit here, but VS Express lacks the visual resource editor that the paid-for versions have and when it comes to dealing with resources, especially the layout of dialog boxes, you do NOT want to be doing that with a text editor. Well, not unless you enjoy it taking four hours to get a button in the right place anyway. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement