Exporter to DX

Started by
4 comments, last by NightCreature83 12 years, 11 months ago
Does blender 2.5 support export for directx ?

If it doesent, how to make one?

Advertisement

why are you useing Blender 2.5 ?
why are you not using Blender 4.48 / 5 ?
and the .X export wotks fine.
but for XNA you have to go into edit mode to move vertexs otherwise XNA wont reflect what you did (and i found that wierd too, but strait DirectX and C++ works fine)

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Truth is im begginer with dx. I`m not sure should i use it at all.

Got some books and i`m just getting the felling of dx, but i want to use blender for modeling, and later to use them in the dx.

Founded that .x is legacy in the new dx10 and 11. How the models are imported to the newer dx versions?
What modeling tool are the people using for making models for dx, 3ds max or something else? if so, how do they import the .3ds in the program?

then try OpenGL (graphics only), or you could use XNA (its the managed version of DirectX)

Got some books and i`m just getting the felling of dx,

that very good, better then what i started with.

Founded that .x is legacy in the new dx10 and 11. How the models are imported to the newer dx versions?

proberbly in a similar manor, but i dont know as i am useing the good old Windows XP SP1 x64 (which is actually Windows Server 2003 x64)

What modeling tool are the people using for making models for dx, 3ds max or something else?

i think most professional game modellers use 3DSMax, but there seam to be more out there (i dont really know as im more of a programer then an artist)

how do they import the .3ds in the program?

they would write / use a existing a custom importer.
Activision \ Crytek use custom formats for there models (others proberbly do too)

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Modern Direct X doesn't support any model format directly, Blender can export to most commonly used model formats or if needed your own custom formats (you have to write an exporter for that though), You can then use a model loading library or write your own model loader for whatever format you're using (This has nothing at all to do with DirectX).

What professionals use is pretty much irrelevant, expensive tools like 3dsmax and Maya won't let you create better models than the ones you can make with a free tool like Blender, they might reduce the time it takes you to make the models though.

Their main advantage however is the renderer. (This is an area where blender is lagging behind quite a bit and integration with third party renderers like Mental Ray is far better in 3dsmax and maya than it is in blender)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

[quote name='solidworm' timestamp='1306249558' post='4815143']

then try OpenGL (graphics only), or you could use XNA (its the managed version of DirectX)

Got some books and i`m just getting the felling of dx,

that very good, better then what i started with.

proberbly in a similar manor, but i dont know as i am useing the good old Windows XP SP1 x64 (which is actually Windows Server 2003 x64)

What modeling tool are the people using for making models for dx, 3ds max or something else?

i think most professional game modellers use 3DSMax, but there seam to be more out there (i dont really know as im more of a programer then an artist)

how do they import the .3ds in the program?

they would write / use a existing a custom importer.
Activision \ Crytek use custom formats for there models (others proberbly do too)
[/quote]

Everyone uses a pipeline that is often custom made, the 3D modeling tools file formats are really bad for high performance loading. The way they store data is in a convenient manner for a file but it is not a convenient layout for a GPU. So what most custom importers do is preprocess the model file in such a format that allows the game to load it in fast most of the time this means that the inside of the file is just a binary data blob. This data blob contains vertices and indices that can be memcopied into a VB or IB without any processing needed. They also contain the shaders and materials and how they are linked to the VBs and IBs in the file.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement