[D3D9] Low FPS with 2 Texture Stages (200 Triangles)

Started by
10 comments, last by pilzburyx 12 years, 11 months ago

[quote name='PilzburyX' timestamp='1306508615' post='4816450']
Problem was the texture size, Very big improvement scaling them down to 128x128. With vsync getting 60fps, without vsync getting 130fps with a 50x50 grid now (5000 triangles). Wish I would of tried that a week ago befor trying to change everything in the code.

Thank you all for your help.

That still seems pretty odd that it killed performance so readily. What sort of hardware is it running on?
[/quote]

Do you think it was a cache-coherency issue? If you had the 256x256 textures with a single mip level, and if the pixel area for the geometry was smaller than the texture size (one pixel covers less than one texel), you would get that. I'm not sure if it would kill the framerate that much though.
Advertisement
It does seem a bit odd, but I think is has to do with what gsamour is saying. Each quad segment is only 1.0 x 1.0 units so trying to shrink a 256x256 image onto each segment seems to be what was eating up the framerate. Just scaled down again to 64x64 and getting 160 fps now. In my previous tests I wasn't getting enough texture detail so I started using 256x256 textures, now with even smaller textures than I was using with the original test getting plenty of detail. Thank you all once again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement