Debate me about the bible

Started by
133 comments, last by inavat 12 years, 10 months ago

[quote name='Amaz1ng' timestamp='1306942862' post='4818305']
[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1306941063' post='4818295']
[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1306899314' post='4818144']
[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1306898296' post='4818141'][quote name='Roots' timestamp='1306872755' post='4818003']as many believers instinctively associative "atheist" with satanist and are prejudiced to think all sorts of horrible things about us.
Side point, but does anyone else think it's weird that a religion would name itself after the anti-diety of another religion and most branches of the it ask not to be associated with that deity?[/quote]Stanists like the character Satan... seems pretty straightforward to me -- isn't it the same as Christians who like the character Christ?
[/quote]

That's not what all satanists believe in though. The majority of satanists don't even believe in a deity, but that humans should embrace their more animalistic desires.
[/quote]
Only the uneducated or mentally ill took the stories as literal. So my point is that the satanism you describe is nothing unusual - it's much closer to actual religion than fundamentalist Christianity for example.
[/quote]
That's not the point I was making o.O
[/quote]
That's not the point I was making o.O
Advertisement

Anybody who wants to know the truth needs to read the scriptures, ponder of them, then ask with a sincere heart if it is true. If done with faith the Holy Ghost will releal the truth of this directly to our minds. That is why I beleive.

What happens though when contradictory answers are received by different people? How do you determine which is true?

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Here's a hint: no such person exists.

it's quite telling that there isn't a single example of this changing, in anyone, ever.

The second sentence does not mean the first is true. Unless you've become omniscient I think you meant "there has been no evidence of such a person".

You're welcome. wink.gif

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

[quote name='cowsarenotevil' timestamp='1306655120' post='4817014']
Here's a hint: no such person exists.

it's quite telling that there isn't a single example of this changing, in anyone, ever.

The second sentence does not mean the first is true. Unless you've become omniscient I think you meant "there has been no evidence of such a person".

You're welcome. wink.gif
[/quote]

It is, of course, impossible to prove non-existence. However, when I assert that, for instance, "dragons do not exist" the vast majority of people will know that I really mean "there is no reason to believe that dragons do exist" rather than "I am omniscient." But then, since you apparently knew that already, I'm not sure why there is any confusion.

Also note that, as written, the second sentence does imply the first one. I said "there isn't a single example" rather than "I have not observed/seen evidence of a single example." Obviously, the latter is what I meant, but you apparently knew that already too.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

[quote name='HappyCoder' timestamp='1306950761' post='4818365']
Anybody who wants to know the truth needs to read the scriptures, ponder of them, then ask with a sincere heart if it is true. If done with faith the Holy Ghost will releal the truth of this directly to our minds. That is why I beleive.
What happens though when contradictory answers are received by different people? How do you determine which is true?[/quote]You have to un-ask that question. The question is based on the assumption that truth is something that exists external to yourself. If you instead assume that truth is internal, then the question makes no sense.

The belief of athiesm is nothing new. [...]

I'd just like to make a small note here, because this is something that I've heard often lately and that I find irritating. The sentence "the belief of atheism" is a misrepresentation of what atheism is. Atheism is the lack or rejection of a belief in some form of a god (this is *not* agnosticism). The sentence "the belief of atheism" has implications, it is meant to suggest that atheism is an equivalent philosophical stance as is the belief in other religions, because it also requires a leap of faith. That is not the case, because the burden of proof is on religions. They make extraordinary claims, so they require extraordinary proofs. Atheism does not make any extraordinary claim.

This statement above is essentially the same as the statement that an atheist would need to "prove that atheism is true". Would you require me to prove to you that Santa Claus does not exist? Would you require me to give you proof that the Tooth Fairy or that the Flying Spaghetti Monster don't exist? Of course not. If you choose to believe in any such fairy tale, you are the one expected to provide very strong evidence.

This is probably not something you did on purpose, but I noticed some people constantly using this rhetoric and I thought this should be clarified.

I'd just like to make a small note here, because this is something that I've heard often lately and that I find irritating. The sentence "the belief of atheism" is a misrepresentation of what atheism is. Atheism is the lack or rejection of a belief in some form of a god (this is *not* agnosticism). The sentence "the belief of atheism" has implications, it is meant to suggest that atheism is an equivalent philosophical stance as is the belief in other religions, because it also requires a leap of faith. That is not the case, because the burden of proof is on religions. They make extraordinary claims, so they require extraordinary proofs. Atheism does not make any extraordinary claim.

This statement above is essentially the same as the statement that an atheist would need to "prove that atheism is true". Would you require me to prove to you that Santa Claus does not exist? Would you require me to give you proof that the Tooth Fairy or that the Flying Spaghetti Monster don't exist? Of course not. If you choose to believe in any such fairy tale, you are the one expected to provide very strong evidence.
[/quote]

I think it is more like the Null Hypothesis.

That itself is a belief. It is just a negative belief.

Not having evidence of your test case does not necessarily prove the null hypothesis.

[quote name='Hedos' timestamp='1307117613' post='4819117']

[/quote]

I think it is more like the Null Hypothesis.

That itself is a belief. It is just a negative belief.

Not having evidence of your test case does not necessarily prove the null hypothesis.

[/quote]

You might be interested in the wikipedia article on the Null Hypothesis. Quote: "It is important to understand that null hypothesis can never be proved." Thus, this is why I'm saying there is no such thing as a "belief in the Null Hypothesis". Is is a contradiction in itself, because the Null Hypothesis can't ever be proven.

This is a subtle issue, but the main point I am addressing is just that of terminology. Stop saying that "atheism must be proved", it's a contradiction. We just refuse to believe in gods because of the lack of evidence, and we can point to this lack of evidence or we can criticize the weakness of the evidence or we can show the contradictions in the proposed evidence, but we are not trying (and don't need to try) to prove atheism.

Stop saying that "atheism must be proved", it's a contradiction. We just refuse to believe in gods because of the lack of evidence, and we can point to this lack of evidence or we can criticize the weakness of the evidence or we can show the contradictions in the proposed evidence, but we are not trying (and don't need to try) to prove atheism.

Checkmate. :o
[size="5"]http://innercirclegames.freeforums.org
Email me at: innercirclegames@hotmail.com

I'd just like to make a small note here, because this is something that I've heard often lately and that I find irritating.\

Atheists believe that there is no god-like deity.

Agnostics are closer to not believing in anything, but that's not always the same either.

Believing in nothing is not the same as not believing in anything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement