Big scene with DirectX

Started by
3 comments, last by Asesh 12 years, 10 months ago
Hi !

I am using DirectX for my game. I also use for the last 3 months the FBX technology (from Autodesk). I use the FBX file in order to put the majority of my scene (building, fixtures, furnitures, and so on) ... around 90% of the scene. We build the scene with LightWave 10. We also use some Wavefront OBJ file and some X file.
FBX is very difficult to use and the SDK is still a Work in Progress and not many people seem to use it ... like other format.

OBJ seems to be more standard. X file is not "supported" or "use" anymore with DirectX 10 and over ....

What you GUYS are-you USING in order to BUILD your scene ? (I am nearly ready to drop FBX and use something else ... FBX gives me difficulties ! )
Advertisement
i am using X file for my DX9 game project for now. its handy to use for casual game.
FBX is INTERMEDIATE format.not for final format.(incidentally?COLLADA too)
eventually you should use/make your own format for your game.(i assume a game)
I currently use COLLADA, but it's just as much of a pain as FBX. As above though, these are intermediate formats - you should not load FBX/COLLADA files into your game directly!

You should have a tool (outside of the game), which converts from your intermediate model format into your runtime model format, which contains whatever kind of data your renderer uses.
We use the Maya C++ API to export directly into our own formats at build time.It's a pain to get started and it ties you to a specific DCC tool, but it also gives you full access to the data provided by that tool without having to go through layers of exporters + file formats + API's for reading those file formats.
use Assimp, it's an open source project and supports loading of many different content formats

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement