Free games with Donate options

Started by
3 comments, last by Wilhelm van Huyssteen 12 years, 11 months ago
Hi.

Ive been researching/mulling over various distribution/payment methods for the games i make for a while now. Ive decided that I am (for the time being) not going to sell any game and instead just make them available for free on my add free website.

Now simple question. Would a donate button hurt in any way? for example next to the download game button something like "Enjoyd game X? Donate X$". Or shouldnt I bother. What do you think?
Advertisement
I would say it depends on how many downloads you're getting
if it's too few, then it's probably not worth it. But if you're getting a lot of downloads, I don't see why a donate button would bother anyone.

The only free game I've seen that actually made some money from donations is dwarf fortress.

But then again, I don't know much about anything.
Your best source of information on this would be people who already tried that. Look for a good free game that asks for donations and send the author an e-mail asking if he receives any considerable money from donations. Let us know of the results if you do, please.

I sent such an e-mail once to the author of ResEdit, not a game but a very helpful development tool, and he recommended to disregard donations as a considerable source of money.

Now simple question. Would a donate button hurt in any way? for example next to the download game button something like "Enjoyd game X? Donate X$". Or shouldnt I bother. What do you think?

Hurt in what way?
Just FYI - accepting donations is legally the same as selling a product as far as the tax man is concerned. Below a certain level it may constitute a gift (depends on your local tax laws) but otherwise it is income and you would have to declare it for tax and possibly (again depending on local law) register as a business or self-employed.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Thnx for the replies. I was basicly just checking if there was some reason that i shouldnt use donations that i might not be aware of. Seems there isnt.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement