Humble Introductions and Lofty Aspirations

Started by
16 comments, last by dangermoose 12 years, 9 months ago

Through a series of very fortunate events an associate of mine and I discovered a "board game" believed to have been played by the ancient Aztecs; a game thought to have been lost to antiquity.

Could you explain this? This claim seems pretty amazing to me.

Also, as for coding the game, I'd look into HTML5.
Advertisement

[quote name='dangermoose' timestamp='1309308400' post='4828894']
Through a series of very fortunate events an associate of mine and I discovered a "board game" believed to have been played by the ancient Aztecs; a game thought to have been lost to antiquity.

Could you explain this? This claim seems pretty amazing to me.

Also, as for coding the game, I'd look into HTML5.
[/quote]

Be happy to. I appreciate your skepticism and the opportunity to explain. A dear friend of mine has been doing humanitarian work in Mexico and Central America for a number of years. I met him as a foreign exchange student from Brazil while he was studing something like anthropology or Latin American studies at SDSU. We exchange correspondence every so often, he to tell of his travels and I to tell him what life is like here since he left. Back in late 2004 he sent me an enthusiastic message about his experience in a small village in the Sierra Norte region of Mexico. Apparently their is a large population of Nahuatl (descendants of the Aztecs) there. He had visited a small mercantile shop and eyed a unique adobe table with diamond-shaped impressions on it. The shopkeeper informed him it is "Itzcoatl - a game played by generations of my people." At first, Andreo thought that this might be a version of Patolli, (a well-known boardgame played by the Aztecs featured in some of the Aztec Codices) but the shopkeeper explained it is not Patolli. He and his family sat down with Andreo and he showed him stones used to play the game, and shared stories and legend about the game and their heritage. When Andreo asked why he had never seen nor heard anything about the game the shopkeeper smiled and said, "...there is much about our history not to know."

In his letter to me, Andreo explained that much of the Aztec ancient history was destroyed not just by the Conquistadores but by the leaders of the Aztecs themselves. In an ironic twist of fate the shopkeeper said to him that if there ever was any written account of this game, it was destroyed over 600 years ago, proabably by the Aztec leader for which the game is named, Itzcoatl (he was the fourth ruler of the Aztecs who was instrumental in their rise to dominant power in Central America in the 15th century.) Any knowledge about Itzcoatl has simply been passed down from generation to generation. Unfortunately, when he asked how the game was played, the shopkeeper tried his best to explain the rules but no one in his family had actually played it. Much of the actual rules and gameplay has truly been lost to antiquity.

As an avid fan of all types of games (not just computer) I was highly intrigued by his letter and after numerous exchanges we proceeded to "realize" the game ourselves. We developed an interpretation of the original game which is exciting, fast-paced and downright fun to play. It also has a few great "spoilers" in it. The prototype of the board game has shown us the game is also extremely addictive as most people who have tried it want to play it over and over.

There is much more history and stories to tell but that will be tied into the marketing and further development when we actually go into serious production.

-Moose
LOL, well I've got to give it to your for your marketing skills, they're grade-A.

I guess I have a few questions: I know a little about coding but the object-oriented stuff confuses me- and I don't find the "Class Rectangle()" examples at all helpful.

Well object-orientation is not the only style of programming. Even though it probably is the most popular, some argue that it is overused. Take a look at what's called functional programming if you are interested. Whether it is a good idea for you to start learning programming, I don't know.

If you want to stick to PC, there's a large number of options. My recommendation is to not try to use fancy 3D graphics and stick with 2D, then to use C++ and SDL. SDL remains my preferred development library for 2D games. It's portable (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X; with some extra work on your part, iPhone, Pocket PC / Windows Mobile, Palm Pilots, some older Samsung Phones, and Google Android), simple (SDL stands for "Simple DirectMedia Layer"), and fairly efficient. The beta version of SDL has not yet caught on (that's what I'd recommend if you had prior C/C++ experience), but the last major release version of SDL is a very commonly used library for open-source games, and numerous tutorials (LazyFoo has the best, IMO) exist for it. You can distribute via Steam; they take a little off the top but you'll get much more money in the long run because more people will be made aware of and try your game.

No, don't! There is no reason for you to use C++. It will just make you development time 10 to infinity times greater than it would be with pretty much any other language.

[quote name='nfries88' timestamp='1309398470' post='4829359']
If you want to stick to PC, there's a large number of options. My recommendation is to not try to use fancy 3D graphics and stick with 2D, then to use C++ and SDL. SDL remains my preferred development library for 2D games. It's portable (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X; with some extra work on your part, iPhone, Pocket PC / Windows Mobile, Palm Pilots, some older Samsung Phones, and Google Android), simple (SDL stands for "Simple DirectMedia Layer"), and fairly efficient. The beta version of SDL has not yet caught on (that's what I'd recommend if you had prior C/C++ experience), but the last major release version of SDL is a very commonly used library for open-source games, and numerous tutorials (LazyFoo has the best, IMO) exist for it. You can distribute via Steam; they take a little off the top but you'll get much more money in the long run because more people will be made aware of and try your game.

No, don't! There is no reason for you to use C++. It will just make you development time 10 to infinity times greater than it would be with pretty much any other language.
[/quote]

Not necessarily true. Some people struggle with the concepts that make C and C++ different from higher-level languages, but others get it right away. I myself get very confused in working with some aspects of higher-level languages, but the C and C++ equivalents just make perfect sense to me.

Also, SDL does some major damage to that development time you were talking about. A complete C/C++ newbie can make a rudimentary platformer using SDL within a 40 hour work week. Using XNA in C# or Java and whatever API is used there would be pretty similar. Unlike XNA and Java game development, where there are very few tutorials and the ones available often leave much to be desired, the number of tutorials available for SDL 1.2 is extraordinary and cover the most important aspects of development, not to mention that support at the SDL mailing list is excellent.
Wanted to say thank you for those who provided me with advice- it has helped quite a bit. I think I've made the decision to code this in C++. I've already got quite a bit of the backend code done in VBA which I simply have to translate into C++, which after a bit of self-education doesn't look like it will take too long to do. I think the greatest challenge for me is going to be understanding what i think are called "bindings"? Having used Microsoft Access as a "platform", if you will, i simply took a couple of database forms and tied the graphics to various controls (buttons) on that form.

Can someone advise a good resource for learning/understanding the concept of tying a game backend to a SDK (if I'm saying that correctly?)

-Moose

Wanted to say thank you for those who provided me with advice- it has helped quite a bit. I think I've made the decision to code this in C++. I've already got quite a bit of the backend code done in VBA which I simply have to translate into C++, which after a bit of self-education doesn't look like it will take too long to do. I think the greatest challenge for me is going to be understanding what i think are called "bindings"? Having used Microsoft Access as a "platform", if you will, i simply took a couple of database forms and tied the graphics to various controls (buttons) on that form.

Can someone advise a good resource for learning/understanding the concept of tying a game backend to a SDK (if I'm saying that correctly?)

-Moose

You have a few different options. For a simplistic 2D game, I recommend SDL. Very simple to use, fairly clean code, very portable (you could post your source code on the internet and even collaborate with other developers who do not even own Windows), well documented and plenty of online tutorials. I recommend LazyFoo's SDL tutorials: http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php

[quote name='dangermoose' timestamp='1309907680' post='4831552']

-Moose

You have a few different options. For a simplistic 2D game, I recommend SDL. Very simple to use, fairly clean code, very portable (you could post your source code on the internet and even collaborate with other developers who do not even own Windows), well documented and plenty of online tutorials. I recommend LazyFoo's SDL tutorials: http://lazyfoo.net/S...rials/index.php
[/quote]

Sorry to make you repeat yourself, nfries88. I appreciate the tip. Thanks. SDL and lazyfoo.net looks like a good place to start.
I might start with a 2D game just to get it working but I think i need to have a "player perspective" and an "overhead view" for the game board- and I don't know if that will require 3D viewing or not.

Thanks again!

-Moose

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement