Competing Team City Building Game

Started by
2 comments, last by Acharis 12 years, 9 months ago
I am developing a city building game where teams of 4 compete against each other to make the best city possible.
Each team member has one of the following roles in the city they are in:

Mayor: Zone land (residential, industrial, and commercial), setup tax % on money made by other 3 players so more land can be zoned
Residential: Build Houses or Apartments
Industrial: Build Factories and Employ Workers
Commercial: Build Shopping Centers, Employ Workers, Buy Products from Industrial, Sell Goods to Employed Workers

The next part is the actual game play:
Residential: For AI pop to move in a industrial or commercial would have to be built.
Industrial: Once industrial and residential built, AI pop will show up for hire. Hire the pop desired according to pay/stats and then they start producing goods. Setup price of goods to sell to commercial.
Commercial: Once commercial and residential built, AI pop will show up for hire. Hire the pop desired according to pay/stats. At this point setup a contract with a industrial factory to buy x amount of good and then set a price to sell them back to the AI pop. The goal is to have all three in a good sink where none are making more or less than the other.

I got more ideas for a v2 but want to make sure this basic concept is solid. So far I have the mayor and residential part done, the building of factories/retail, and in progress on the hiring.
Advertisement
I can see one thing here -- no one will play the mayor. And if it is a cital role (as it seems so), people won't be satisfied to choose that position. It just doesn't do anything apart from watching the others work. Either give him more detailed responsibilities (such as managing the pop's mood, advertising, propaganda against other cities) or cross him out alltogether.

Nowhere in your design do I feel the competition. It is arbitrary IMO -- you basically make a Tycoon game that players may choose to compete or just ignore eachother alltogether.

Also, the Commercial role is the most robust one -- I'm having the impression it is the most thought out. The rest seems kind of a "filler" -- if I'm mistaken, and you have a detailed design about each one of the roles that puts them in a more interactive role, please post it.

And, lastly, you did not state what you want us to do here. Review the idea? Just read it? Sorry if my reply doesn't comform to your expectation, I have a really bad habit of critical analysis based on material shown.

EDIT: Just noticed the "but want to make sure this basic concept is solid" line. What do you mean by solid? As shown above, there are many routes you can take, and the design will not be solid until it is plainly done, playtested and written in stone/code. I'm sure that if you pay attention you will find new ideas and gaps in your concept that you can fix. I could only offer advice baed on my experience and gaming preferences.
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)
I was just wanting some ideas on what people thought. As for each section, I could give power to the mayor to build utilities which would give the other players more and better options. Industrial I could have them actually have to buy material and make products. Residential not sure what else I can do at the moment but any thoughts would be great. The idea behind res, ind, comm was to give a easy, mid, and hard feature. Also player can play in multibe cities. I do have more ideas if I need to post to give the game that filler you were referring to.
The roles concept is seriously flawed. In SimCity you always have to balance residential&commercial&industrial zones. That's the key of the game. Giving these areas to different people won't work.

There should be no roles, each person should be able to do the same things. Maybe make separate disricts managed by different submayors with districts influencing other districts?

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement