Anime purely as a drawing style

Started by
45 comments, last by AaronWizardstar 12 years, 9 months ago
Hi.

When I was a little younger (Mainly 17-21) I used to watch alot of anime. Nowadays I generaly find anime storylines shallow and cliche although I still love to watch a realy good one but there isnt alot of them (that i havent watched allready). Some of the better ones has great storylines and character design and the 'anime stlye drawing' is realy good at amplifying emotion.

There is a dislike towards anime (especialy in profesional conversations) that I feel is a bit unfair. IMO As a result commercial products shy away from using 'anime style artwork' in fear of being associated with it. If you ignore everything thats attached to anime (hentai, lolicon, magical girls!, cliche stories, live/breath/eat anime obsessed fans,foreign origin and all the other reasons its disliked/hated) and you you look purely at the beutifull drawing style capable of expressing emotion in a unique and gripping way wouldnt you agree that Its underused? Or to put it another way if anime was purely a drawing technique and nothing else do you think more people would use it?

I'd love to hear your opinions!
Advertisement

There is a dislike towards anime (especialy in profesional conversations) that I feel is a bit unfair. IMO As a result commercial products shy away from using 'anime style artwork' in fear of being associated with it. If you ignore everything thats attached to anime (hentai, lolicon, magical girls!, cliche stories, live/breath/eat anime obsessed fans,foreign origin and all the other reasons its disliked/hated) and you you look purely at the beutifull drawing style capable of expressing emotion in a unique and gripping way wouldnt you agree that Its underused? Or to put it another way if anime was purely a drawing technique and nothing else do you think more people would use it?

Putting aside that anime is not a drawing style; it's animation.

People shy away from anime/manga specifically because it's overused, cliche, and niche. I don't know where you got the idea that it is underused. Check out deviant art. It's EVERYWHERE. There are 7 manga style pictures on the front page of deviant art alone.
[color="#1C2837"]There is a dislike towards anime (especialy in profesional conversations) that I feel is a bit unfair. IMO As a result commercial products shy away from using 'anime style artwork' in fear of being associated with it.[/quote]

[color="#1C2837"]That is not entirely true, but the simple fact of the matter is that for some media X, everyone will have a different opinion on it ranging from zealous hate to zealous love. Nothing unusual.

[color="#1C2837"]Personally, I agree that the style is beautiful... When it holds still. [color="#1C2837"]Thank Disney for that bias.

[color="#1C2837"]
[color="#1C2837"]I'd love to hear your opinions![/quote]

[color="#1c2837"]My opinion on anime is the same as my opinion on movies, music, plays, books and every other media in existence: I might like some of it and might not like others. Even if there are some works I'm pretty sure I won't be fond of (Rap music, Jim Carrey), I can be pleasantly surprised and develop more of an appreciation for a genre and the culture that made it.
I using anime everywhere, as drawing style. I love it.
Well, the anime "style" by itself doesn't really move me, but since my girlfriend showed my some good stuff (she hates the style by itself), I'm starting to like the style. I find most characters to be cute and pleasing to look at (not the over-stressed shit, but the Ghibli stuff, for example). I'm more into the stories, some of them are totally blown away (like Mononoke and Nausicaä), and the Japanese folk-tale inspired stories (good/bad is not so good/bad). And I always loved the Japanese language, so I like the whole stuff.

[font="Arial"]_ o . o _
= ^ ^ ^ =[/font]
I prefer more realistic styles for cartoons. Not sure if it's part of the anime style, but there's usually a lot of exaggeration in expressions. (Bigger eyes play a role with that). The style itself doesn't really bother me though. I watched a lot of Pokemon and Digimon as a kid. The part that bothered me was how it was used. A lot of in anime shows had a serious lack of animation. I've been told the more professional anime don't suffer from this though.

I prefer more realistic styles for cartoons. Not sure if it's part of the anime style, but there's usually a lot of exaggeration in expressions. (Bigger eyes play a role with that). The style itself doesn't really bother me though. I watched a lot of Pokemon and Digimon as a kid. The part that bothered me was how it was used. A lot of in anime shows had a serious lack of animation. I've been told the more professional anime don't suffer from this though.

It's actually one of the reasons that anime is so successful, because they can produce episodes with fewer people/in less time because there's probably 10 minutes or more of scenes with no animation or highly reused animation in each show. It's also usually drawn on 4s instead of every frame for parts where it's not action intensive.
I've found that the drawing style of more recent manhwas (Korean mangas) have been a bit more eye-pleasing than the drawing style seen in animes/mangas. Check out Noblesse as an example.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I certainly think there's some association between (amateur) anime and those high-school-aged artists who make up the bulk of the population at sites like DeviantArt. I would compare it to VisualBasic (or, more generally, BASIC) where it is derided as a professional medium due in equal parts outdated "facts" and modern misconception due to association with said practitioners. I'm definitely not saying that VB is a great language, only that the breadth and depth of negative opinions about it probably are more exaggerated than would be by honest, unbiased examination.

I personally like the art style of it, and I'm a casual-intermediate Anime fan, but I certainly concede that not all of it is an outstanding technical achievement -- particularly with anime series a lot of corners are cut due to time and budget -- just as it was with pre-CGI american animation, by the way, which nowadays... I can't even remember the last original, western-style animated series that was "hand drawn" (common use of computers for color/sfx notwithstanding). I don't think it will ever come back in the west, honestly -- we're not interested, from a business perspective, in anything which we can't turn into a factory.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I personally like the art style of it, and I'm a casual-intermediate Anime fan, but I certainly concede that not all of it is an outstanding technical achievement -- particularly with anime series a lot of corners are cut due to time and budget -- just as it was with pre-CGI american animation, by the way, which nowadays... I can't even remember the last original, western-style animated series that was "hand drawn" (common use of computers for color/sfx notwithstanding). I don't think it will ever come back in the west, honestly -- we're not interested, from a business perspective, in anything which we can't turn into a factory.

The Simpsons and Bob's Burgers I believe are both hand drawn. Of course they're relatively simple and the simpson's has the privilege of having the demand to use as many resources as it needs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement