Environmental variables win 7

Started by
1 comment, last by 21st Century Moose 12 years, 8 months ago
I'm having trouble setting environmental variables for VS 2008 in windows 7. I'm under a limited user account and when I go to the environmental variables section I get prompted for the password from the admin. Well once there I see a list for admin user variables and system variables. I then enter in ENV_VAR and the location under user variables or system variables. However once I go back to VS2008 and put in $(ENV_VAR)\include in the VC++ directories they don't seem to solve any of the errors and I have to reenter in the plain location.
Advertisement
I'd fix the limited user account thing first.

You won't get far in software development with that account. Debugging without privileges is going to be a bit hard.

At the very least you'll need your limited user to be added to the "Debugger Users" group. You will also probably access to several restricted folders and the ability to install SDKs and other big pieces of software, but might get away with it if you are only starting out with simple 'hello world' type apps.

It would be much easier and better overall to simply have a proper local machine administrator account, which is basically required for almost any serious software development.

To simply change your environment variables as a limited user, Google suggests:

[font="Calibri, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]To edit your own personal environment variable list, you must use the following method: Click Start, Control Panel, User Accounts and Family Safety, User Accounts. In the task list at the left side, click Change My Environment Variables. You will be able to edit only the upper (personal) environment variable list.[/quote][/font]
[font="Calibri, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font][/font]
...on the other hand, developing as an admin introduces the serious danger of writing code that will only work for an admin account. So if you go down that route be sure to add "test while logged on as a limited user" to your test plans.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement