Using Cellular Automata to create heightmaps

Started by
4 comments, last by ryan20fun 12 years, 8 months ago
Hey there!

So I've now got the hang of C++ and SFML, and am starting to wade into OpenGL programming.

One of my current projects is to create a procedural world generation program. I'm not using Perlin Noise, and I don't want to (partly for the challenge, partly to experiment and see how things could be done in other ways, and partly because I want high levels of control, conceptually, over the finished world that Perlin doesn't seem to offer easily). For the moment, most of the program is based on modifying cells in a Voronoi diagram in accordance to certain rules, and the results aren't all that bad:

[media]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-L_AcHx38-2Y/Tkj-G4fe1fI/AAAAAAAAAGM/USkHHpDOoQE/s1600/19-8.jpg[/media]

But I the code is somewhat bloated, and I want to trim the fat.

I've been hearing a lot about using cellular automata to do terrain generation, but I've googled a lot and most of it is either highly technical stuff I can't read, or else simple things that only differentiate between land and water, or with similar limitations. I want to take a look at what others have done in terms of cellular automata being used to model pseudo-naturalistic heightmaps, i.e. mountain ranges, rivers, erosion, valleys, etc. So far, I've not found much to go on.

Can anyone point me in an interesting direction?
Advertisement
what about useing a Digitel Elevation Map ?

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Isn't that the same thing as a heightmap?

[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1313657615' post='4850671']

Isn't that the same thing as a heightmap?
[/quote]

I looked it up, but that's essentially the conclusion I came to, as well. Since DEMs seem to be of greatest currency in the scientific community for mapping the Earth and other planets, I thought the intention might have been to take existing maps of places on Earth and adapt those, but that's not what I'm looking for, as I want full control over the kind of landscapes that appear, and I want to be able to create several and pick favorites, rather than be forced to find appropriate DEMs from Earth for every different attempt.

I looked it up, but that's essentially the conclusion I came to, as well. Since DEMs seem to be of greatest currency in the scientific community for mapping the Earth and other planets, I thought the intention might have been to take existing maps of places on Earth and adapt those, but that's not what I'm looking for, as I want full control over the kind of landscapes that appear, and I want to be able to create several and pick favorites, rather than be forced to find appropriate DEMs from Earth for every different attempt.

I agree, using data taken from real-world terrain is anything but adaptable. Well I can't offer any expert advice on this, but I'll be watching this thread very closely because it's one of my main interests.

[quote name='Saldan' timestamp='1313667612' post='4850718']

I agree, using data taken from real-world terrain is anything but adaptable. Well I can't offer any expert advice on this, but I'll be watching this thread very closely because it's one of my main interests.
[/quote]

that reminds me, i saw a post somewhere talking about getting the height data out of Google Earth, unfortunetly i dont have the link to that one.

<a href="http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48404">Og

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

[quote name='Saldan' timestamp='1313667612' post='4850718']

[/quote]

that reminds me, i saw a post somewhere talking about getting the height data out of Google Earth, unfortunetly i dont have the link to that one.

Ogre Forums • View topic - Where to get height maps (real geo information): ( i think this is the right one, looks like it has the right links and looks fimilier :) )

one interesting thing to look at from the above link
be sure to check out the USGS and their free online store of maps.[/quote]

and heres one other
Getting Elevation Data Out of Google Earth

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement